Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2015, 10:45 AM

Re: Bread /Apples

Originally Posted by Anita ->
the best way to have fresh bread is to slice it and and keep in in the freezer
Best way to have fresh bread is to simply make it fresh and regularly yourself.

If you're thinking "yes but I just don't have time to do that" then I'd suggest perceptions of what's involved in making it are probably out-dated.

Simple Method For A Great Overnight White Loaf
==============================

500g strong white bread flour
300g water
8g salt
1g fresh bakers yeast (about the size of a pea - get from supermarkets)

Starting late evening 8-9pm

WEIGH - 3 mins
1. Weigh out above ingredients
2. Combine ingredients in a bowl

MIX - 4 mins
(With a mixer)
Mix ingredients for 3-4 mins until dough comes away from bowl

LONG PROOF

3. Put the dough into a deep Tupperware box or bowl, cover with lid or cling film and leave out at room temperature overnight (up to 10-12 hours)

SHAPE - 2 mins

4. Take the proofed dough which will have double or tripled in volume and shape into a log or boule and place on a baking tray. Sprinkle flour on top and cover with loose cling film or bag.

FINAL PROOF - 20 mins

5. Leave dough to proof a little further for about 20 mins
Put oven on highest setting (about 240 deg C)
Put a deep roasting dish in the bottom of the oven

BAKE - 30 mins

Transfer bread to the hot oven
Immediately throw a cup of water into the roasting tray to create steam and shut the door
Bake for 30 mins

JOB DONE

-------------------------------------------------------------

Schedule Summary

Evening prep - approx. 7 mins

Long proof overnight

Morning work - 2 mins actual work, 50 mins proof and bake

For most people this can be started on say a Friday or Saturday night and completed next morning.

For people who are busy workers during the working week the schedule runs from morning to evening. Thus:

Morning prep - approx. 7 mins

Long proof during the day whilst you are working

Evening work - 2 mins actual work, 50 mins proof and bake

Bottom line - For less than 10 mins actual work, you can make a great long fermented loaf for you and your family with no additives, chemicals or preservatives. It will taste fantastic, smell heavenly and be a very rewarding experience which will likely lead to you branching out to try other recipes and bread types from baguettes to ciabattas and rye breads.

Enjoy if you choose to try this.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2015, 06:10 PM

Thanks Realist. As a bread lover I should try that. The chaplain at work is also bringing me in her recipe. I'll definitely have a go at it. Bread that is baking smells delicious
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2015, 06:32 PM

Welcome. Good luck if you try it.

This is a simple recipe that ordinarily might have had about 5g of yeast in it and a quick 1-2hr proof. By reducing the yeast to a tiny 1g, it can happily bulk ferment for many hours overnight which develops great flavour.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2015, 07:56 PM

I don't know what kind of messing is going on with todays bread, it tastes like toilet roll (yes I accidentally swallowed a bit of toilet roll while blowing my nose with a piece one day so I know what it tastes like) and although (all dough!) it feels soft and fresh it turns green in parts in two days, and you shouldn't have to freeze bread, how did we manage before that? the wife and daughter make their own bread now but when we were buying it she used to put it in the freezer and leave some out, but if that went you had to wait hours for the frozen stuff to thaw out, very annoying. We're all happy now with the wife baking the bread and she loves making it.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2015, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I don't know what kind of messing is going on with todays bread, it tastes like toilet roll (yes I accidentally swallowed a bit of toilet roll while blowing my nose with a piece one day so I know what it tastes like) and although (all dough!) it feels soft and fresh it turns green in parts in two days, and you shouldn't have to freeze bread, how did we manage before that? the wife and daughter make their own bread now but when we were buying it she used to put it in the freezer and leave some out, but if that went you had to wait hours for the frozen stuff to thaw out, very annoying. We're all happy now with the wife baking the bread and she loves making it.
Sounds great Jem. Another advocate for baking bread. I MUST try it!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top