Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Sableline
Durham,uk
Sableline is male  Sableline has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 11:04 AM

card machines and charity

When I came to pay for the fuel at my local filling station and after putting my card in the reader, I checked the transaction before entering my pin as I always do. This time on a small screen there was a note saying that I was giving £5 to charity. I queried this with the cashier " O she said press that button and you will not donate". I wonder how many people are giving to this unknown charity without realising it. The cheek of it.
Anyone else found that their local filling station are doing this.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 11:41 AM

Re: card machines and charity

No not seen that, we usually use loyalty cards with our payments looking for discounts so would notice a huge extra like a fiver instantly.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Sableline ->
When I came to pay for the fuel at my local filling station and after putting my card in the reader, I checked the transaction before entering my pin as I always do. This time on a small screen there was a note saying that I was giving £5 to charity. I queried this with the cashier " O she said press that button and you will not donate". I wonder how many people are giving to this unknown charity without realising it. The cheek of it.
No and I would be cross if they did. You shouldn't have to 'opt out' of giving to charity you should have to 'opt in'.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Sableline ->
That is disgraceful and I am not sure it is legal!
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 12:04 PM

I've never seen or heard of, anything like that.

I can't imagine the card companies being happy with the idea.

I'd like to know more
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 12:16 PM

Wow...can they do that????!! You pop into a garage just to get petrol, and you've unwittingly opted in to donate to charity?

Thanks for the warning...we'll all have to thoroughly check the amount we're agreeing to pay.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 12:20 PM

Google hasn't come up with anything about this (or I haven't asked the right questions)

When you think that the banks are required to investigate and recompense for faulty purchases, iffy transactions etc, surely they would be flooded with complaints if this practice became widespread?

*shakes head in perplexed manner*
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 12:21 PM

Sable, may I ask what filling station it was, was it a particular supermarket one?
I just thought if we knew, we could be ultra-careful next time we go. I think that idea is terrible, what a flamin' cheek.

I agree with others, I wouldn't have thought it legal, and like Alan says, we should 'opt in' not have to 'opt out.'
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 12:48 PM

Sounds like a scam to me. I'd be inclined to check it out with either the manager or someone higher up the chain.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 01:07 PM

Googling it looks like Esso and the RNIB teamed up on this one, reads like it is opt in though not opt out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top