Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 01:58 PM

Re: card machines and charity

I have not heard of this before, but I have to say I put the petrol in the car and my husband goes and pays, will tell him to look out for this.

Thanks for the warning Sableline
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 02:01 PM

I'm sure these companies have done their homework, so it it probably isn't illegal, but it certainly is sharp practice.
I wonder if they've ever heard the expression 'counterproductive'.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Googling it looks like Esso and the RNIB teamed up on this one, reads like it is opt in though not opt out.
I'm curious now, as that scheme seems to be to charge 25p per transaction, not £5. I'm guessing that Sableline maybe misread the machine, reading the 2 as a £ sign? If not, then I'm still very skeptical.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I'm curious now, as that scheme seems to be to charge 25p per transaction, not £5. I'm guessing that Sableline maybe misread the machine, reading the 2 as a £ sign? If not, then I'm still very skeptical.
That to me sounds even sneakier as who would notice 25p whereas many would notice a fiver.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 04:24 PM

Link to scheme.

https://www.rnib.org.uk/motorists-go...t-loss-charity
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->
Link to scheme.

https://www.rnib.org.uk/motorists-go...t-loss-charity
And it clearly says .....The money will be raised by customers, in an innovative scheme which allows them to ‘top up’ their credit or debit card transaction. 160 Shop’ N Drive stores, which are located at Esso petrol station forecourts, give motorists the option to make a 25 pence donation when paying for their fuel and other items."

Clearly optional.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
And it clearly says .....The money will be raised by customers, in an innovative scheme which allows them to ‘top up’ their credit or debit card transaction. 160 Shop’ N Drive stores, which are located at Esso petrol station forecourts, give motorists the option to make a 25 pence donation when paying for their fuel and other items."

Clearly optional.

But that could mean like Sableline said in the first place, you have to press a button if you do not want to donate?
So maybe if you do not notice the extra amount added, you wouldn't know you needed to press a button to opt out.
That way they can still say 'it's optional,' but still rather crafty.
Just a thought.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
But that could mean like Sableline said in the first place, you have to press a button if you do not want to donate?
So maybe if you do not notice the extra amount added, you wouldn't know you needed to press a button to opt out.
Just a thought.
Exactly, Mups. The point as I understood it in the OP was that she had to OPT OUT and had she not noticed she would have automatically paid the extra. That in my opinion is totally wrong and somewhat coercive.
More like it "gives the motorist an option NOT to pay extra if they check the amount first, but otherwise takes it automatically". I bet there are loads of motorists who don't even realise that they have paid an extra 25p.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 09:30 PM

Yes, that is exactly what I meant Ania.
If the garage is participating in that, they should be obliged to verbally warn us and point it out first, so that we can decide for ourselves.

It's not much different to a shop 'short-changing' you by 25p, and if you noticed, being told you have just donated to charity, and you should have said if you didn't want to!
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That way they can still say 'it's optional,' but still rather crafty.
Just a thought.
Yes I agree...it clearly says it's optional...but do they make it clear at point of sale?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top