Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 11:13 AM

Splitting The Bill In A Restaurant....

Have you ever been out with a group of people for a meal in a restaurant, you choose an inexpensive item but others have opted for a more expensive item. They order large glasses of wine, whilst you might just have a soft drink or tap water as you are driving.

The bill comes and it’s so fiddly to work out each individual amount that someone suggests, ‘Let’s split the bill’.
‘Oh yes, what a good idea’ is the reply from the majority.

Your £15 or so becomes £30 or more but you don’t want to make a fuss, so you pay up. Inside you’re feeling slightly miffed but they are your friends and you don’t want them to think you’re mean.

Have you ever experienced this scenario and the dilemma you were in, on whether to protest or just pay up?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 11:15 AM

Re: Splitting The Bill In A Restaurant....

No I have never experienced that scenario as one person has always paid the bill for everyone.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 11:16 AM

It has happened in the past but not anymore, I ALWAYS say I'll pay for my own these days because some people just take the P
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 11:16 AM

If YOU'RE driving, the rest should club together and pay for YOUR meal and drinks .....
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by omah ->
if you're driving, the rest should club together and pay for your meal and drinks .....
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 11:34 AM

Divide the final bill between however many you are and just pay up.
If you're not drinking you can always choose a more expensive main dish or pud!
Any quibbling over a few quid between friends is a shame.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 11:42 AM

As a rule I dont eat out with more than 1 friend at a time so we just split our meals and drinks half and half no matter what we have...it usually evens itself out over several outings anyway.
I couldnt be quibbling over "well she had more than me or that drink was more than mine" my friends are my friends and I just enjoy their company when we are out for a meal ,Ive been in situations where Ive ended up paying maybe £2-4 more but Id happily pay more as I wouldnt be eating out in a large group often to begin with.
I have been out with others who have quibbled right down to the last 10p its embarrassing to say the least.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 11:45 AM

When Tony & I go out with friends we just split the bill no bother.

It's a different story when I go out with women though. On my recent lunch outing with the ladies I met on as coach tour they all added their own bill up and put the money in the middle of the table, taking change as needed.

Luckily it didn't bother me as I wasn't drinking, so mine was cheaper.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 11:46 AM

This is always a nightmare when you have a large group meal and sometimes people go early and pay their share but forget about the tip or other extras. So others have to pick up and some people earn less than others so a few quid extra can be a problem.

If it's a large group then we remove the cost of the alcohol, split the bill and then add an equal share of the alcohol cost among those who were drinking. People usually accept that.

My main objective in such situations is to avoid being the one who works out the cost and just pay my share. Whenever I've decided to help it gets very stressful with people throwing cash at you all at the same time and expecting you to know the exact change they need. That might be ok when you're sober but after a few drinks it's not so easy having ten people talking to you at once.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Divide the final bill between however many you are and just pay up.
If you're not drinking you can always choose a more expensive main dish or pud!
Any quibbling over a few quid between friends is a shame.
When out in a group ee always divide the bill by the number present. As we mainly enjoy the same kind of food it evens out over time - some have puddings, some have coffee, some don't always. I would hate to be with someone who quibbled - it would be embarrassing and spoil the evening

When it is just two of us - usually lunchtimes - we take it in turns to pay. Works out OK.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top