Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 01:22 PM

Re: how arguing more will make you smarter

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I had far far less knowledge as most did before the advent of the internet.

What I knew I knew from books. For example books that explain every herb and spice and what their medicinal uses are and how to use them.

Books that explain how civil disasters unfold, the typical phases seen each time, how to cope and manage, where to go, what to take, how to create potable water when the water supply is shut off and so on.

Now that we have the internet there is really no excuse for anyone to stay ignorant and uniformed on any given issue. Yet many do remain ignorant. They are locked in their insular world, often afraid to let down the barriers, unwilling to concede they are uniformed, unable to be objective, clinging to old, often childhood traits and habits.

The internet is a remarkable and evolutionary entity.
The internet certainly helps but just because it is out there doesn't make it true. Look up any subject and there are countless different views on the subject which means we just have to choose the version that suits our argument.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Did you read the post?
It was extremely interesting.

I'm not a bit bothered whether he typed it all himself (it would take me all day!) or copied and pasted it from Some Place, or nicked it from A.N.Other forum (I did that with the scallops, sometimes you need to do that to get a decent perspective!)...it was well presented and interesting, and spot on
I learned how to debate at a school debating society, before the internet existed, and it was always an exchange of views based on facts and your own opinions. This is a definition of debate.....

a formal discussion on a particular matter in a public meeting or legislative assembly, in which opposing arguments are put forward and which usually ends with a vote.

It is about who puts over the best argument, and you have to have some emotion to be able to do that.
You were only allowed to use proven facts, that somebody else had written, as you would have been removed from the debate if you were reading what somebody else told you to say.
A large amount of things, that are on the internet, are not proven facts, that is why you can always find another item on the same topic which says something completely different.

If he has an argument to offer, why not put it in his own words and make it a proper debate?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by longdogs ->
the internet certainly helps but just because it is out there doesn't make it true. Look up any subject and there are countless different views on the subject which means we just have to choose the version that suits our argument.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Toadie

If anything all I've discovered arguing achieves is a thicker skin not a more versatile outlook or mind.
How's ya skin Gummy? Do you exfoliate regularly?
only when you cum around honey!!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
The internet certainly helps but just because it is out there doesn't make it true. Look up any subject and there are countless different views on the subject which means we just have to choose the version that suits our argument.
Yep most certainly true. In fact on issues of health and natural medicine it is a veritable minefield. A combination of great truthful insight, horrific misinformation, state disinformation and wildly varying testimonies from real people.

Research is hard. It takes effort. It takes understanding. You not only have to read the content but also assess the motives of the people who have posted it.

Over time you build up a picture of the truth and get to know and understand how the disinformation merchants are operating. That makes research quicker in the future.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I learned how to debate at a school debating society, before the internet existed, and it was always an exchange of views based on facts and your own opinions. . . . .

You were only allowed to use proven facts, that somebody else had written
Interesting to hear you say this because in all the topics relating to health, flu vaccine, Shingles vaccine etc, all you appear to do is argue emotionally and anecdotally. You don't provide any facts or source references to support your views.

Do you perceive that the forum isn't a debating area then?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

07-09-2018, 02:21 PM

Interesting to hear you say this because in all the topics relating to health, flu vaccine, Shingles vaccine etc, all you appear to do is argue emotionally and anecdotally. You don't provide any facts or source references to support your views.

No you misunderstood my post, proven facts cannot be disputed by anybody! and that is why they are allowed in debate.
You have mentioned yourself that a lot of things on the internet can be disputed & that is why they would be rejected by a good debating society.

I don't have the desire or the inclination to spend time researching the internet, for somebody who agrees with me, to prove me right. I base my opinions on well known facts & common sense, in the hope that people will agree.
The difference between you and I is that I let people make their own choices, but you just can't let it drop when people oppose your opinions!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

07-09-2018, 03:02 PM

No you misunderstood my post, proven facts cannot be disputed by anybody! and that is why they are allowed in debate.
Yet you don't appear to accept the proven facts I cite and provide links to in some of the discussion threads such as the Cochrane studies of the flu vaccine.

I don't have the desire or the inclination to spend time researching the internet
Then where will you get your proven facts from?

I base my opinions on well known facts & common sense, in the hope that people will agree.
I'm confused. Are these "well known facts" actual facts, proven facts, scientifically tested, peer reviewed facts? Or are they just hearsay and anecdotal rhetoric, pseudo facts?

The difference between you and I is that I let people make their own choices, but you just can't let it drop when people oppose your opinions!
The point of debate and discussion as you yourself just posted is an exchange in which "opposing arguments are put forward"

Why then should I "let it drop" if someone opposes my opinions which in truth are not my opinions at all but rather the "proven facts" and data that you referred to earlier. If people are refuting such facts isn't it right that I or anyone else stands up for them? Shouldn't we be supporting proven facts rather than anecdotal nonsense?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 03:21 PM

You have mentioned yourself that a lot of things on the internet can be disputed & that is why they would be rejected by a good debating society.

I don't have the desire or the inclination to spend time researching the internet, for somebody who agrees with me, to prove me right. I base my opinions on well known facts & common sense, in the hope that people will agree.
the great turn of the century research into wriggling eels comes to mind - or the effluence of bulls?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 03:25 PM

Realist, if you view the Home page you will find we have a specific forum for debating and discussions where you can start a debate/discussion on any topic yourself.

Many of the General Health threads are from members who are unfortunately suffering from an illness or complaint and are there looking for encouragement and support from our good members. They do not need a lot of negativity 'thrown' at them ..... that can be discussed in the sections provided.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top