Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
david
Hervey Bay Australia
david is male  david has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2014, 09:41 AM

Depression

For many years I have suffered from depression. I have had help from so called experts but always come away feeling worse.
I pushed my family and friends away over the years and lived on my own, and found that this is not a cure but you can handle most situations a whole lot better without any interference.
I am sorry for posting this, but i just had to talk to someone.
I just lost my best friend and he died because he helped me.
He came between me and a king brown snake and was bitten.
I have him here in my lap while writing this, and I have never
felt so much grief in my entire life.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2014, 09:51 AM

Re: Depression

What a story David, I didn't know what to make of it at first but I see you live in Australia.
I see that you have dogs and when you say your best friend is that what you mean?
Depression is a dreadful thing and does tend to go in cycles, you feel ok for a bit and then you sink into that awful hole that is so hard to climb out of.
When you are really sinking into that hole and when you look at your life at the time there is usually something which has tipped the balance and caused the slide, and in your case it's pretty obvious as to what it is and you are experiencing grief, and when he is there with you and it's just happened it's pretty raw, it's not surprising you feel so bad.
Don't be sorry for posting as that is what forums are about, reaching out to people in this format.
I know that lots of people deal with life better when they spend a lot of time alone, being around other people can be pretty stressful and you have to behave a certain way and listen to all the advice which contradicts what you are thinking inside your own head etc.
Some of us are true introverts and function better that way. Animals on the other hand are welcome and provide great companionship so your dogs must mean a lot.
Wishing you well.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2014, 09:59 AM

Its an awful place to be David wish I had the answers for you, but each place is different for us.
Surround yourself with those things that bring comfort and happiness into your life is the best advice I can give.
Medicines are not always the answer ..... I am trying an alternative remedy which is Lemon Balm capsules, only just started them, but they have a very good response record .......
Wish you well David .....
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2014, 03:24 PM

Can I ask a question? You do not have to answer here just be honest with yourself. Do you drink perhaps a little more than the limit?. Been there myself and it`s a short term answer,but alcohol can and does increase depressive symptoms when relied on
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2014, 03:38 PM

I can't give any help that will remove your depression it's a terrible state of mind only you can drag yourself out off. I have a relation who has many bouts of it. He goes on long walks eventually it lifts until something starts it off again. All I can offer is a prayer for you for peace of mind. Take care xx
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2014, 03:54 PM

Oh David, what can I say. The pain of losing a much loved pet is indescribable, especially in such circumstances. Hang in there, he did for you what you would have done for him in different circumstances. Animals give unconditional love and friendship. Don't blame yourself in any way or get too deeply into what would have happened if, if only etc. You were privileged to have had his friendship, treasure the thoughts of the times you had together.

I have a number of dogs too. When I lose one I sit down and write down all the things they did, what we did together , the achievements and heartbreaks. I do this before I forget. Then put it away in a draw. Its as if I have saved a bit of them and kept them with me.

We are here to chat, many of us have dealt with depression at one time or another. Perhaps not in the same way as yourself. One of the advantages of being an older generation is that we have greater understanding. We have seen so much pain and touched many people who have depression and can completely understand where you are coming from. Please keep chatting to us, we will always be here to talk.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2014, 04:26 PM

2008-2011 probably the worst years of my life.
2008 had to stop working due to ill health sat for just over 2yrs in my room like David says found the best way to cope was to get rid of friends and family took whatever the docs were throwing at me in prescribed drugs,could'nt drink my way out of it like I used to in my earlier years of problems because drinking made my breathing worse. I used to stock pile drugs mass's of painkillers/diazepam and sleeping tablets hoping one day I would have the courage. Then got referred to Brompton to sort out my illness and things started to change was given help to get out more with o2 was given the correct meds. Combined with a attitude that I was going to try instead of sitting on my arse and feeling sorry for myself. Bought a dog so that I would have company out there. Over the years my health has improved I became more outward again. Apologised to those I hurt by pushing them away. They were all ok about it thank god.
I sympathize tremendously with people that suffer with depression I think deep down my upbringing has a lot to do with my fighting spirit and of course I am thankful for the help I received from all those around me at the time. But just to show how easy it is to slip back I recently had a run in with a cyclist in my local park and I also had a argument with a friend at the same time.Both times I fell short of my expectations of myself and it sent me spiralling backwards to the point that I stayed in the house and didn't want to venture out again for over a week and once again that inner strength inside pushed me to get my arse out that front door.I am nearly back on top but I reckon it may take at least another week or two before I start feeling calm and at ease and less scared of people around me. I don't have prescribed drugs anymore because I felt they made things worse for me I cleared out my stockpiles about 6mths ago. For me it is all down to will power and of course my little JR who will never stop pestering me to take her out. Also would like to thank most of you for putting up with my music it as meant a great deal to me to be able to post whilst I am sitting at home most days it as helped pass the time away.
Would like to thank David for opening this thread I don't normally open up about my depression because I find it hard but writing about it I find it easier and its also a relief to let things out.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2014, 05:05 PM

Black dog? when I`m on a high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tlSx0jkuLM
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2014, 06:02 PM

Sorry for your loss David. Losing a dog can be just as hard, if not more so, than losing a family member or a close friend - we spend so much of our time with dogs that it's not surprising we get so attached to them. Here is a thread on Dogsey that might help, especially the PDF that is linked to in the first post: http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=159969

Regarding depression, another huge topic. May I ask if there has been any reason or trigger for your depression? Reason I ask is because last year, when I got ill, I got very depressed. People who will know me will say that it is very unlike me.

I was having digestive problems at the time, in fact it is when they were at their worst. This led me to believe it was a physical problem, rather than a psychological one. So I took some Selenium capsules and within 48 hours I began to feel better. I stayed on them a week and stopped feeling depressed. However as soon as I stopped, it started again. So back on them I went and sure enough I stopped feeling depressed again!

This confirmed my suspicions, and so I upped my regime on healing my gut. One of the things I found very helpful, was Milk Kefir - not only does it contain selenium, but it helps address the microflora imbalance in our guts.

Many years ago a friend of mine who practises functional medicine told me that depression should be looked at from a nutritional perspective, not necessarily of people not eating the right foods, but not being able to digest the food they eat properly. Most of our immune system is located in our guts, it is even called the second brain and it is certainly the first thing I would look at if I, or a loved one ever gets depressed or ill again...

I wish you a speedy recovery, and I know it hurts losing someone close to you, but in time, your mind and body adjusts, and learns to cope with it better.
Magic
United States
Magic is female  Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2014, 03:06 AM

I'm sorry for you loss. I've had dogs all my life and they are family. I wsih you well, a prayer and hug.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top