Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2014, 08:19 AM

Re: Depression

I know depression is a terrible thing David & my heart goes out to you. You seem so isolated and yet you needn't be. A friend of mine had depression for many years and she used to go to a group for people suffering from depression. She found it easier to chat to other people who were going through the same thing.

It wasn't doom & gloom - they had outings & activities & friendships were formed.
Your doctor could put you in touch if you think it might help.

Bless you David - I hope you find some peace of mind.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2014, 12:26 PM

Your post longfellow is also very brave. I haven't suffered depression but I grew up with a depressed mother who was addicted to all kinds of doctor prescribed drugs for years.

I loved the bit where your little JR pesters you - pestering little mites aren't they just.

As a matter of interest have you ever investigated "Mindfulness" incorporating Cognitive behavioral therapy - it seems so darn simple especially in the face of something as complex as the depression you suffered but I've known many who have tried it and come out feeling immensely better and more importantly equipped with tools to recognise the signs of it creeping in again. There's loads of stuff on the internet about it.

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
2008-2011 probably the worst years of my life.
2008 had to stop working due to ill health sat for just over 2yrs in my room like David says found the best way to cope was to get rid of friends and family took whatever the docs were throwing at me in prescribed drugs,could'nt drink my way out of it like I used to in my earlier years of problems because drinking made my breathing worse. I used to stock pile drugs mass's of painkillers/diazepam and sleeping tablets hoping one day I would have the courage. Then got referred to Brompton to sort out my illness and things started to change was given help to get out more with o2 was given the correct meds. Combined with a attitude that I was going to try instead of sitting on my arse and feeling sorry for myself. Bought a dog so that I would have company out there. Over the years my health has improved I became more outward again. Apologised to those I hurt by pushing them away. They were all ok about it thank god.
I sympathize tremendously with people that suffer with depression I think deep down my upbringing has a lot to do with my fighting spirit and of course I am thankful for the help I received from all those around me at the time. But just to show how easy it is to slip back I recently had a run in with a cyclist in my local park and I also had a argument with a friend at the same time.Both times I fell short of my expectations of myself and it sent me spiralling backwards to the point that I stayed in the house and didn't want to venture out again for over a week and once again that inner strength inside pushed me to get my arse out that front door.I am nearly back on top but I reckon it may take at least another week or two before I start feeling calm and at ease and less scared of people around me. I don't have prescribed drugs anymore because I felt they made things worse for me I cleared out my stockpiles about 6mths ago. For me it is all down to will power and of course my little JR who will never stop pestering me to take her out. Also would like to thank most of you for putting up with my music it as meant a great deal to me to be able to post whilst I am sitting at home most days it as helped pass the time away.
Would like to thank David for opening this thread I don't normally open up about my depression because I find it hard but writing about it I find it easier and its also a relief to let things out.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2014, 02:14 PM

David and Longfellow, you have given us insight into what it's like to feel depressed. Thank you for confiding in us. As Dr. Claire Weekes said "there's nothing so depressing as depression". Her book was like a bible to me at one time.

Losing a beloved animal is losing a member of your family. My heart goes out to you David.

Longfellow, I'm so glad you got so much comfort from posting your music here. Music can also be a healer.

I hope each day gets a bit brighter for you both.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 10:35 PM

Azz having just read your post I found it very interesting. It could indeed be the case that not absorbing certain nutrients can cause an actual deficiency which affect how the brain is functioning.
I have had issues with depression and anxiety myself and took AD's for 5 years, they did help but after a while I felt that the benefit wore off. Coming off them was hard, harder than I expected but I eventually managed it after 2 attempts.
I now take St John's Wort which works as well as the AD's. I may try the supplement you suggested for the gut as I know I have digestive issues and have always had since I was born.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 10:49 PM

David

I have been there myself believe me, My father died of cancer after a short illness and at the same time my mother suffered the same and both passed away within 6 months of each other. if that was not bad enough my wife was having a threatened miscarriage as well.

The only way I can describe what I was going through mentally was like being on a ball and which ever way I tried to punch my way out I was bounced back in.

Even now I do get upset and celebration times are the worst without having my parents.

How to get over it is something only the person suffering can decide and talking about it to anyone who listens helped me a lot. All I can say is don't bottle it up, don't be afraid of having a good cry, I did many times, it is nothing to be ashamed of,it is natural.

It also is true time is a great healer but you never loose that missing feeling you just have to try and get on with life. That is no disrespect to dear departed ones and they would want you to carry on living life to the full
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 01:39 PM

Great post Bazza - I feel so helpless to help those that are going through it, I listen and hope to give comfort, in my case I've always had to sort it myself - no one can really help until the pain subsides within you. Its a rotten feeling to say the least, if you have good people around you that will be a blessing
Good wishes to all that suffer in this way x

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top