Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 07:51 PM

Supplements just to make you feel better?

Has anyone found any supplements, or other 'natural' products, that you've found make you feel better in general? What I mean by 'natural' is something you can buy yourself (perhaps a specific vitamin or mineral) or concoct yourself (some folks have their own remedies) rather than prescription drugs. Something to perhaps give me a little more energy so I don't feel so tired all the time or maybe something to elevate my mood. I get down because I just don't have the energy I used to.

Like the song goes, "I'm sick and tired of feeling sick and tired."

Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 08:05 PM

Re: Supplements just to make you feel better?

Unless there is some underlying cause of your lack of energy I reckon a healthy diet and a moderate amount of outdoor exercise is as good a way as any of keeping healthy in mind and body.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 08:07 PM

Linda I am not a fan of supplements .
I understand many vitamins and minerals work in conjunction with and complement each other and I believe the best way to get all the nutrients we need to be healthy is to eat a good balanced diet with lots of fresh food, fruit and vegetables and as little processed food as possible.

My 'supplement' is a good handful of nuts every day, almonds/walnuts and two brazils and a teaspoon of maple syrup on my porridge .
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 08:12 PM

I take Menopace each day. I just like the idea of taking it after I had a bilateral oopherectomy in January. Just like to know I'm taking something
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 08:33 PM

Great answers so far, thank you

I agree a healthy diet is important. I do my best to get in as many healthful foods as I can, but sometimes it's hard to get the RDA of everything. I do take a multi. I also take fish oil.

I haven't hit menopause yet, but I think I'm in the early stages of peri. My periods have been wacky the last year and my body hurts a lot. Typical body and joint aches (my doctor told me I have bursitis) moodiness, weight gain, irregular periods, all the fun stuff. My periods are very heavy and there are times I wish they'd just stop. I honestly can't wait until I no longer have them. That will be a huge burden gone.

It's hard for me to exercise when most days I'm doing good just getting out of bed, but I try and walk when I can. That seems to make me feel better. I guess having suffered from GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) for so many years hasn't helped matters much. That too can cause physical symptoms and make you feel like kaka.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 08:44 PM

How about something like Milk Kefir?

Being a fermented food, it is already partially digested, making it much easier for your system to digest. It also contains powerful immune components. However, it should be home-made and not the shop-bought stuff. (Daily)

How about fresh vegetable juices as well? Must be fresh, and not the shop bought stuff. Fresh vegetable juice contains important enzymes, which quickly die (hence why it has to be fresh). (Daily)

I would also incorporate oily fish in your diet at least 5 times a week.

I would cut out processed foods, white flour, sugar, too.

If you give that a go, let us know how you get on
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
Something to perhaps give me a little more energy so I don't feel so tired all the time or maybe something to elevate my mood. I get down because I just don't have the energy I used to.

Like the song goes, "I'm sick and tired of feeling sick and tired."

Have you spoken to your GP about how you feel?

edited to add...I have just seen your comment about heavy periods, it's possible you could be anemic.....speak to your doctor.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 09:55 PM

Have to say I felt pretty similar in the run up to the menopause, sometimes the tiredness was so intense I though I must have a really serious illness, I literally could hardly walk upstairs at times I felt so tired for no really good reason.
I did notice that it went in phases and at times I felt worse than others.

That may be because as the levels of certain hormones drop they do so at an inconsistent rate, staying at a certain level and then dropping quickly for a while before levelling out again. Meanwhile your body has to keep adjusting which is pretty rough on the body as we rely heavily on those hormones to keep us bright eyed and bushy tailed during our fertile years.

Some people start HRT, some people take supplements, vitamins and things for the menopause and some even drink tons of coffee and caffein drinks to help their flagging energy levels. I didn't find anything that helped other than time and maintaining exercise of some sort as much as I could which does help with energy levels though you don't always feel like it.

It is a good idea to be checked for iron levels etc also as Pats says. Also give yourself the opportunity to rest and put your feet up and take some time out if you possibly can. Your body is going through some major changes and although it's a walk in the park for some it certainly isn't for everyone, but it's a bit like child birth you sort of forget how bad it was.

I'm still having lots of hot flushes quite a few years after the menopause, so hope at least you don't have that to deal with.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 10:38 PM

You could be short of iron, in which case you should be eating lots of red meat & other iron rich food.
On the other hand - Maybe it's hormones you need Linda?

The only nutritional supplement I believe in are B vitamins. They're good for the nervous system and go a way to preventing depression.
Many years ago I had an eye that twitched all the time. It went on and on for months. I had tranquilizers from the doctor but they didn't cure it - then one day I read that B vitamins were good for nerves. I thought to myself 'Right - if I can't calm this twitching nerve, I'll feed it' I went & bought some brewers yeast tablets and started taking them every day.
After three weeks my eye stopped twitching. Now that wasn't a coincidence - not after having it for six months.

I would recommend Brewers Yeast tablets to everybody.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 11:41 PM

I decided to change my diet and now eat much healthier foods, plenty of veggies and salads etc, always eat wholemeal bread and feel much better and with added exercise I've lost more than a few pounds.
I wouldn't take supplements as I believe I get everything I need from my current eating habits

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top