Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 11:45 PM

Re: Supplements just to make you feel better?

COD LIVER OIL TABLETS, We take every day, help keep the joints supple.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
I decided to change my diet and now eat much healthier foods, plenty of veggies and salads etc, always eat wholemeal bread and feel much better and with added exercise I've lost more than a few pounds.
I wouldn't take supplements as I believe I get everything I need from my current eating habits

I have done that too, partly because of feeling so grotty during the menopause. I have included a lot more of the healthy oils and greatly reduced sugar and carbs to some extent though I am not a fan of bread or pasta. I've lost 2 stone in the past couple of years gradually. It has made a tremendous difference to how I feel but I also think my blood sugar is more stable since I ditched biscuits and sugary snacks. I still have some wine and I have chocolate even a bit of cake but the big difference is keeping the portions small and keeping a rough tally of daily calories.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 12:08 AM

What wonderful advice you all give. Thank you so much.

Yes, I've spoken to my doctor about everything and just recently had blood work completed, but she didn't mention she found anything unusual.

Getting more iron is a good idea, though. I'm supposedly getting what I need from my multi, but I've never believed vitamins alone to be enough. I agree I should be eating more iron-rich foods.

Anita, thanks for the reminder that my body is still trying to adjust to different hormone levels, etc. I just need to keep reminding myself of that.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
I have done that too, partly because of feeling so grotty during the menopause. I have included a lot more of the healthy oils and greatly reduced sugar and carbs to some extent though I am not a fan of bread or pasta. I've lost 2 stone in the past couple of years gradually. It has made a tremendous difference to how I feel but I also think my blood sugar is more stable since I ditched biscuits and sugary snacks. I still have some wine and I have chocolate even a bit of cake but the big difference is keeping the portions small and keeping a rough tally of daily calories.
oh me too! I can give up many things but I'm a Lambrini gal and I love Asda's milk chocolate bars, went today and bought 10 of 'em!
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 12:15 AM

My thing isn't sweets, it's salty snacks. Especially potato chips (crisps). I could eat my weight in those things.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 12:16 AM

I go between chocolate and savoury snacks, usually cheese flavoured, depends on my mood
Linda0818
USA

20-08-2014, 12:27 AM

My other thing is peanuts. The in-shell kind. Love those things. I get started on them and it's hard to stop. Granted, nuts are a healthy snack, but they're also high in calories, so I have to force myself to stop at some point, haha.
Linda0818
USA

20-08-2014, 12:29 AM

And it doesn't help that I watch shows like Secret Eaters and Supersize vs Superskinny on a regular basis. Talk about triggers!
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 10:52 AM

I am in the middle of the menopause, I haven't had any hot flushes that I can recall. I thought that my periods had finished as I had not had one in two years. Until we went away for a few days two weeks ago and guess what a full on period.

It left me feeling tired, weepy and snappy.

But because we were away I made the most of it, we went on long walks each day, bus rides to somewhere and then walked for miles, out for a meal and then walked for miles. Being out in the fresh air made me feel so good.

I don't take supplements as I am on medication from the doctor so don't know what will mix with those and each time I go to the doctors forget to ask.

I am also always tired now a days, my diet is fairly healthy, don't each pasta or rice, each potatoes about once a week, eat fish quite a lot of times a week plus salads. I like you Linda0818 really don't know what else to do.
Linda0818
USA

20-08-2014, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by shirley ->
I am in the middle of the menopause, I haven't had any hot flushes that I can recall. I thought that my periods had finished as I had not had one in two years. Until we went away for a few days two weeks ago and guess what a full on period.

It left me feeling tired, weepy and snappy.

But because we were away I made the most of it, we went on long walks each day, bus rides to somewhere and then walked for miles, out for a meal and then walked for miles. Being out in the fresh air made me feel so good.

I don't take supplements as I am on medication from the doctor so don't know what will mix with those and each time I go to the doctors forget to ask.

I am also always tired now a days, my diet is fairly healthy, don't each pasta or rice, each potatoes about once a week, eat fish quite a lot of times a week plus salads. I like you Linda0818 really don't know what else to do.
Good lord, is that normal? To suddenly have a period after not having one for two years? I wonder what would cause such a thing???

Your diet sounds similar to mine. I'm no saint, I admit I eat the occasional 'sinful' treats, but for the most part I watch my saturated fats, I eat mostly chicken and fish (including shellfish) I'm not a big rice and pasta fan (really the only time I eat rice is when I have Chinese and pasta is just an occasional craving). I love things like nice big salads, hummus, eggs, that sort of things. But unless I'm eating one of my salads, that I usually build myself from the store salad bar, I admittedly don't eat enough veg. Well, unless it's onions. I eat tons of onions, I eat them every day. In salads, on sandwiches, in wraps, just about everything savory... onions onions onions. I'm surprised I haven't turned into one. I also eat a lot of tomatoes.

My biggest weakness is bread. But I rarely eat loaf bread, I eat mostly things like tortillas (I make a lot of wraps because I can just wrap up everything in I'm in the mood to eat into one handy vessel) pita bread and flatbread. When I want a snack, I don't reach for fruit or carrot sticks, I make a wrap or a half of a sandwich. It usually always involves bread of some kind.

Edit to add: I'm going to try Azz's suggestion of vegetable juice. Unfortunately, though, it will have to be the kind you buy because I don't have a juicer (had one years ago but the juicing became a tedious task for not a lot of end product, so I got rid of it) but I'll try and look for more natural and organic types of juice rather than the typical V-8. I don't like V-8 anyway, it's too thick and it makes me gag. I like thinner, smoother juices, like carrot juice, and I can probably find more natural varieties at Fresh Market or Whole Foods Market (specialty foods markets we have here in the states).

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top