Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 09:12 AM

Re: Dentures

A friends mum was in a nursing home ,at night those with false teeth had them taken to be soaked over night,she said you never got your own teeth back.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 09:14 AM

Because of an accident as a child I have worn full dentures since I was 18yrs old. I was 3 months with no teeth at all, due to Novocain poisoning, and was really worried when the dentures arrived. Would they make me gag? Would they fit properly? etc., etc., Once he had fitted them and made sure they were OK - my dentist advised me to go and buy a bag of boiled sweets to suck to help me get used to them. It was good advice and it is something I do each time I have a new set.

I never take them out except for cleaning, and can eat anything I like.
Yes - I can/do bite into apples, crunch raw carrots, chew toffees, enjoy a good steak - in fact at times I forget my teeth are not attached!

The secret is - proper fitting. If your dentist makes a good job of the impressions, and the laboratory make a good denture, you should have no problems. Don't believe that Private is better than NHS either - the Dentist may be in private practice but the dentures are all made in the same place. I am on my fourth ( or fifth) set and they have all been NHS.

Would I go back to natural teeth given the choice ? No way !
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 10:16 AM

Thank you to all who replied to my thread - I find the answers most interesting and enlightening. I'm thinking maybe a bridge might be alright for me - anything to avoid the dreaded plate!!

Mollie that sure is a long thread and I've made a start on reading it - up to page five so far. Back later to read more.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 10:53 AM

About two years ago I paid £500 for some bottom dentures ... the dentist kept assuring me I would get used to them !!! No I didn't .... and they are now on top of the wardrobe !!!!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by myrtle ->
No I didn't .... and they are now on top of the wardrobe !!!!
Well - at least they'll frighten the moths away !
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 12:36 PM

AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 01:18 PM

I have had full bottom dentures for 7 years.. BUT... they were not made properly and are poorly fitted. I am getting my remaining top teeth pulled and will get a full top denture in a month. I have posted how afraid I am, but I need to do it as I cannot eat or speak properly now.. This time I am not going to a General Dentist.. I am going to a Prostadontist. This is a dentist who specializes in dentures and bridges. Hopefully I will get good results, and dentures that fit well..
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk

24-08-2014, 01:21 PM

Good luck Audrey
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 03:41 PM

A friend of mines met someone on a dating site who was really nice. During the course of the evening he told her he had dentures and that was it for her! She said she just could not go out with someone wearing false teeth. How shallow? Even although he was a lovely man, apparently.

None of us know if we'll ever have to wear dentures. It's got nothing to do with how well you look after your teeth most of the time.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote Mollie. "You can NOT bite into apples with dentures, no matter what adverts you may see on TV, nor a grand piece of steak, or a burger, like you used to"
My wife eats all the above foods Mollie, I kid you not, she finished her dinner an hour ago and she's sitting on the sofa eating an apple she has in her hand, she eats one every day after her dinner, as someone said it may be in the fitting of them and she was lucky, she has them nearly thirty years now and only once had I to fix them for her, she bit on a hazel nut in a bar of chocolate and a tooth popped out, I fixed it back for her, no problems since.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top