Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2014, 07:55 AM

Getting over a fracture..

I fractured my ankle 6 weeks ago & had the plaster removed yesterday.

It doesn't feel as well as I'd hoped - it's still a bit painful, weak and very swollen. The hospital doctor seemed to think it was a normal way for it to feel and didn't offer me any advice or suggest physio - just two minutes of his time to see if I could walk two steps unaided before sending me off home.
The swelling worries me a lot - I didn't think it should still be swollen after all this time but it is. The doctor said the swelling was to be expected - I didn't think it was - not after 6 weeks!!

Any advice/comments gratefully received..
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2014, 08:17 AM

Re: Getting over a fracture..

Hi Carol, I do think that was unacceptable to just shove you off home like that, but as I haven't yet had a broken LOWER limb, touch wood, I don't know what the protocol is.

I do know I was told to keep my arm up while in plaster to prevent swelling, but I found that inconvenient, rather than impossible. I didn't use the sling so always had my arm hanging down, then found late in the day feeling the swelling inside the plaster and it was incredibly uncomfortable.

Were you told the same, to keep your leg up? Do you think that could have caused swelling? Is it early days, and that it may go down?

I'm only going by my own experience and of course every person is different. I definitely needed the physio because my fracture was in the wrist and base of thumb, so my fingers needed to work again.

If worried, call the Fracture Clinic and ask for someone other than the one who removed the plaster, or speak to your GP, see if they have any advice to give.

As I say, I have no experience of a break in a leg. I hope you feel better soon. I know I was incredibly impatient but it took months!

X
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2014, 08:21 AM

The pain and swelling is normal after a cast comes off.
You've not been using your ankle, so fluid has built up, causing the swelling.
I'm surprised you weren't offered physio to build the strength back in your ankle. But you can find lots of ankle strengthening exercises online. Make sure you take it easy at first though, as everybody heals at different speeds. As you get some strength back, the pain will abate also.

If it at any time it doesn't feel right, do go back to the doctor's.
Good luck, and take it easy! I know it's good to have 2 legs again, but it will take a wee while to have them working in sync again! Elevate your leg if you still need to!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2014, 08:34 AM

Ive only broke my foot, after the plaster was removed i had more pain. Turned out when they had put me in plaster they had trapped a nerve in my leg, took as long to heal.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2014, 10:30 AM

Hello Carol - I was going to post yesterday but thought maybe not!! I had a cast removed after a few weeks and the pain, once it was gone, was pretty bad and it was so weak I would have preferred the cast back on!!

You just have to take things steady it does get easier but I thought I could get around normally - big mistake... I took my shoes to the hospital with me but couldn't get one on the one that had the cast removed.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2014, 11:25 AM

Mine was the same Carol when I had an ankle operation and know how debilitating it can be, in my case the cast had given me a false sense of security so when it was removed the joint seemed terribly weak. The swelling sounds familiar too, but all I did was to take my time, be gentle with things and gradually try to put a little more weight on it as the days went by, continuing to use a stick as necessary. I seem to remember though that a week on and things were much easier but it was a few months before I was back to normal.

However, please accept my best wishes for a full and speedy recovery from your own injury but patience will be the key.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2014, 01:49 PM

Thank you all very much for your answers. They've reassured me a lot.
I can be patient now I know it's normal to feel this way.

Thanks again.
Maggie1947
Kent
Maggie1947 is female  Maggie1947 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2014, 01:58 PM

You will just have to wait a bit longer before going on your lovely walks an swimming,Carol.It all takes time,take care.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2014, 03:36 PM

The swelling worries me a lot - I didn't think it should still be swollen after all this time but it is. The doctor said the swelling was to be expected - I didn't think it was - no after 6 weeks!!
Hi Carol I would have thought that was normal if you haven't been very mobile and have been restricted with a plaster. .

When you are sitting down I would try to keep your foot elevated also avoid standing around for long spells, either walk or sit.

As we get older I think things do take longer to heal. I hope you will be running around again soon
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2014, 06:42 PM

Hi Carol

I'm amazed you haven't been offered physiotherapy, but I can tell you what I had to do after my last skiing crashes and smashing my kneecap. Most of my exercises were based on strengthening the quads - so that's lie flat and lift your leg, both straight and bent, the bad leg then both legs. Do the same from a sitting position.
Another thing which can help is to go shopping - put your crutches into the trolley and use the trolley for support.
It takes quite a while, so patience and painkillers.........

Good luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top