Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2014, 01:53 PM

H. Pylori Bacteria

Has anyone here been through treatment for h. pylori? I was tested positive for it after symptoms I was having (feeling of fullness with very little food, stomach pains when stomach is empty) sent me to my doctor. That was back in April. I was supposed to be retested in August, but just never made the appointment. I kept forgetting because after the antibiotic treatment (coupled with omeprazole) my symptoms disappeared.

Well now I think it's back, the little buggers are rearing their ugly little heads once again, apparently not all of it was killed off. I've made the appointment to be retested and I was wondering if anyone here has ever had to go through two rounds of treatment for this bacteria. H. pylori is a common bacteria that many people carry. But some of us develop actual problems from it and I just happen to be one of the few unfortunates.

Have you gone through treatment for this and what antibiotic(s) were you prescribed?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2014, 02:43 PM

Re: H. Pylori Bacteria

Have you looked into Mastic Gum and Liquorice? Studies have been done on both, showing it is affective against H Pylori...
Fran
South Yorkshire
Fran is female 

02-09-2014, 02:50 PM

Hi, I had a friend who after treatment tested negative but then a few months later it was back again and she needed the eradication treatment a second time.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2014, 03:09 PM

I had it a few years ago and was prescribed metronidazole and penicillin. It seemed to have worked. The metronidazole isn't the most pleasant antibiotic to take as it upsets some people's systems, and you cannot take one drop of alcohol whilst taking it, nor for 48 hours afterwards, or you can be very ill.

Good luck and hope you get it sorted
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2014, 03:12 PM

What are the symptoms, or are they not printable?
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2014, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Have you looked into Mastic Gum and Liquorice? Studies have been done on both, showing it is affective against H Pylori...
Wow, really? No, I haven't even heard of that. I'll look into it, thank you

Originally Posted by Fran ->
Hi, I had a friend who after treatment tested negative but then a few months later it was back again and she needed the eradication treatment a second time.
Yeah, the little buggers hide. It's possible to test negative, even if the bacteria is still there.

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
I had it a few years ago and was prescribed metronidazole and penicillin. It seemed to have worked. The metronidazole isn't the most pleasant antibiotic to take as it upsets some people's systems, and you cannot take one drop of alcohol whilst taking it, nor for 48 hours afterwards, or you can be very ill.

Good luck and hope you get it sorted
Yes, the metronidazole was what my doctor first prescribed, but after reading all the horror stories about it, I asked that she give me an antibiotic that I've taken in the past and had no problems with because I have a lot of issues with antibiotics. And I'm deathly allergic to penicillin. So I know the metronidazole would have caused me problems as well.

Glad yours is gone!

Originally Posted by Celyn ->
What are the symptoms, or are they not printable?
These are the typical symptoms of being infected with the h. pylori bacteria:

An ache or burning pain in your abdomen.
Abdominal pain that's worse when your stomach is empty.
Nausea.
Loss of appetite.
Frequent burping.
Bloating.
Unintentional weight loss.

I had (and have again) the burning in my stomach. It's worse in the morning because I've gone all night without food. Eating seems to calm it down. Then when my stomach starts to become empty again, the pains start again. I also get a feeling of fullness (that may be the loss of appetite symptom they're talking about) after eating only small amounts. I can eat one sandwich and feel like I've consumed a 7-course meal. I also have the burping.

Oddly enough, it's a very common bacteria. Over half the world's population carries it, so they say. However, only a small percentage develop problems from it and I happen to fall into that small percent.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2014, 06:50 PM

I was diagnosed with gastric ulcers and was found to have that bug. I was given 4 tablets to take twice a day for a week (I can't remember what they were) and have had no trouble since then. I do take Omneprazole now each day but they don't cause me any bother.
Linda0818
USA

02-09-2014, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I was diagnosed with gastric ulcers and was found to have that bug. I was given 4 tablets to take twice a day for a week (I can't remember what they were) and have had no trouble since then. I do take Omneprazole now each day but they don't cause me any bother.
Yes, they say 80-90% of gastric ulcers are caused by the h. pylori bacteria. Nasty little things, they are.

4 tablets twice a day, that sounds like you may have been on either a double or triple antibiotic therapy. I was on single, taking only the clarithromycin and the omeprazole. I'm hoping they aren't back. Or, rather, they just weren't all killed with the first round of antibiotics. But that familiar stomach pain woke me up early this morning, so I'm concerned. I wonder if just because I'm having that stomach pain that it HAS to mean it's because of the bacteria.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2014, 06:59 PM

Please be wary of online medical advice. The suggested liquorice, for instance, interacts with a huge number of common medications so should not be tried without consultation with your doctor first. While it seems a good idea to share experiences of such things, they are just that and each of us has our own individual circumstances which may not be comparable.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2014, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
Yes, they say 80-90% of gastric ulcers are caused by the h. pylori bacteria. Nasty little things, they are.

4 tablets twice a day, that sounds like you may have been on either a double or triple antibiotic therapy. I was on single, taking only the clarithromycin and the omeprazole. I'm hoping they aren't back. Or, rather, they just weren't all killed with the first round of antibiotics. But that familiar stomach pain woke me up early this morning, so I'm concerned. I wonder if just because I'm having that stomach pain that it HAS to mean it's because of the bacteria.
No, it certainly doesn't HAVE to mean H. Pylori is present.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top