Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 09:22 PM

Having Surgery

Not sure if this should be here, or in Discussions?

I was listening to a bit of "Loose Women" on lunchtime telly today, and they were having a discussion about people in hospital for surgical operations, who wake up inspite of the anaesthetic. How awful can that be.
Janet Street-Porter said she won't have a general anaesthetic, and apparently she has just had an operation on a bone in her shoulder with local anaesthesia only. She said she prefers to be awake and hear them and know what they're doing, rather than be unconscious.
The statistics were given as three patients per week are now waking up when they shouldn't. One lady phoned in and said she woke while they were drawing the lines where they were going to cut her, but couldn't even blink to let them know she was aware of everything. She was so terrified, that her heart rate/pulse went so beserk they realised all was not well, so knocked her out deeper. She told them when she woke up, and was able to repeat everything they had said. How absolutely terrifying.
So I have two questions.
1. Has it ever happened to you?
2. Would you prefer local anaesthesia instead if poss?
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 09:35 PM

Re: Having Surgery

I've worked in a surgical ward for 25 years.

Never in that time has that happened where the patient wakened up. Okay, it does happen, but it's very rare.

I had my very first general anaesthetic in January. It was a dawdle. Yes, I was apprehensive. I told them my mum suffered from terrible nausea after a GA. I was given an anti-emetic. I could not believe, when I came to, that I'd had my op! I was gobsmacked.

I WOULD NOT hesitate to have a GA again. I had my op one day, then home first thing next morning. It was brilliant. I'd never be anxious again about a GA.

Okay, some people have after effects. They are few and far between and people will give you horror stories. Don't listen. See how it works for you is all I'd say.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 09:39 PM

It is frightening when you hear about things like that happening, I would hate to be waiting to go in for a major op after reading that.

Three years ago I had to go in as an out-patient for the removal of a growth in my arm. I was given a local anaesthetic and was oblivious to what was going on, in fact we were talking about supermarkets and the cost of food all the time I was quite surprised after to see I had had a 7cms incision and 8 stitches in my arm and I wasn't aware of anything throughout.

If it were possible, I would go for a local anaesthetic over a general anaesthetic every time.
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 09:49 PM

It hasn't happened to me, thank goodness although I had a related experience.

I was having quite a large op. and (this was quite a few years ago) they came to me beforehand and said as I was very healthy they would like to try a new anaesthesia. I wouldn't feel anything and I would be as if I had had a few barcadis and cokes (that was my tipple at the time) They would also play music so I could relax and not hear their conversation. Yes, I did feel inebriated. First problem was their music didn't play. It made a very loud screeching/grating dreadful noise. I tried to tell them but my mouth wouldn't work! I tried to pull the earphones off but my arms wouldnd't co-ordinate. I was surrounded by this wonderful vision of masked doctors in blue scrubs (that was the best part - very handsome they looked) I remeber one saying in a strong Italina accent "You no like our music".

Next problem was that night I went into shock.It was all action stations. The whole experience of going through surgery while virtually awake, and trying to keep up the stiff upper lip, had been too much. I kept looking at the lift outside my room. I though if my husband gets out of that lift I know I am dying.

Since then I have always wanted anaesthesia. Although absolutely horrendous, what has happened to people, the numbers must be low in comparison to the number of operations performed. I have never known anyone who that has happened to.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 09:51 PM

[QUOTE=alice76;530390]I've worked in a surgical ward for 25 years.

Never in that time has that happened where the patient wakened up. Okay, it does happen, but it's very rare.
QUOTE]

Alice, that is a comfort in a small way. I say 'small' because perhaps you would only be aware of the statistics of the hospital in which you work? I imagine the statistics that were read out, would have been nationwide statistics?

In fact, just googled the question and according to the Royal college of Anaesthetists, this happens to 1 or 2 patients per 1,000, which equates to 1 - 2,000 cases each year! Apparently, also, many anaesthetists say this is under-estimated! The Medicine News website said that although pain is unlikely to be felt, it frequently causes re-occurent nightmares and flashbacks afterwards.
Bloomin' scary if you ask me.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 10:13 PM

[QUOTE=Mups;530395]
Originally Posted by alice76 ->
I've worked in a surgical ward for 25 years.

QUOTE]

25 years when no one has wakened up? Think that means loads. Do not worry about something that probably will not happen. Be positive!! Get rid of the negativity.

Alice, that is a comfort in a small way. I say 'small' because perhaps you would only be aware of the statistics of the hospital in which you work? I imagine the statistics that were read out, would have been nationwide statistics?

In fact, just googled the question and according to the Royal college of Anaesthetists, this happens to 1 or 2 patients per 1,000, which equates to 1 - 2,000 cases each year! Apparently, also, many anaesthetists say this is under-estimated! The Medicine News website said that although pain is unlikely to be felt, it frequently causes re-occurent nightmares and flashbacks afterwards.
Bloomin' scary if you ask me.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 10:22 PM

I wondering why people wake up? Is it the anaesthetists fault for not giving the patient enough general anaesthetic?
For a small operation I think I would prefer a local - but for something big, if I was going to be cut open - I'd prefer to be asleep!!
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Celyn ->
Although absolutely horrendous, what has happened to people, the numbers must be low in comparison to the number of operations performed. I have never known anyone who that has happened to.
I haven't experienced it either, nor have I heard of it happening to anyone.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

10-09-2014, 10:27 PM

Well Pats, I don't know anymore than what I heard today, but if you google it, it seems to be true enough. There are a lot of write ups about it, and several people phoned in the programme to tell their experiences as well.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Well Pats, I don't know anymore than what I heard today,, but if you google it, it seems to be true enough. There are a lot of write ups about it.
Well Mups.

Have I said it doesn't happen?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top