Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2014, 11:43 AM

Re: Having Surgery

I had heard about people being conscious during surgery right before I had major surgery in 2010.... Sooooo.. needless to say I was really freaked out. I told the anestesiologist of my fears in OR holding. Of course he reassured me that it was not going to happen to me.. THEN gave me the bestest shot of drugs in the entire world!! I also went into the OR theatre laughing and cracking jokes. I had robotic surgery and was even talking to my robot! Named her Angel!! All the OR staff said they wished all their patients were as happy as I was to be there. OH... and I didn't wake up until it was all over.. No problems.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2014, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
No Pats, you haven't said any such thing, and neither have I accused you of anything at all.
Just curious as to why you said this in answer to my quote.

" but if you google it, it seems to be true enough"
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2014, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I am allergic to Doctors let alone hospitals, I tend to stay away as much as possible even refused a flu jab, pointless that is and the annual harrassment of asking, by the NHS, asking for a stool sample. It got to the stage a did write to them saying if I had anther letter I would asking for that I would bring a prosecution against them for harrassment, I was that annoyed. Yet another example of NHS waste of money

By the way I have only called on the NHS about 3 times in nearly70 years, in fact all my life.

The last time they checked my blood pressure, something unremotely to do with my ankle. Then they declared I had low blood pressure and should get it seen to with tablets. What a load of rubbish, trying to earn a rake off from the tablets is what they were really after, I am no fool I cottoned onto this straight away,and never ever had problems with blood pressure.

Proof?

Just take a look at what Doctors did to Elvis Presley as just one example, say no more

Tony Hancock got it right with his sketch about taking a pint of blood. It was nearly an armful if you remember.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2014, 06:42 PM

There is a problem here how do you know if you have actually awoken during an anesthetic or if you had a kind of dream and dreamt you did when you didn't .

On occasions I have dreamt I woke up and performed certain actions then awoke and found I had been asleep and dreaming all along
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2014, 07:25 PM

I think Meg when you repeat back to the Surgeon what he was talking about while he was operating , you can safely say you was awake
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2014, 07:32 PM

Not to mention, the accounts I have read about that experience have people describing excruciating pain... but being unable to move or cry out due to the paralytic given during anesthsia.. It sounds like a nightmare for sure.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2014, 07:32 PM

Honestly, don't hassle yourself. In this day and age if you can hear everything that is said, in deep general anaesthesia, then there's something far wrong. Yes, for goodness sake take it up with the hospital. We've come on leaps and bounds with anaesthesia. There is no need for this and I find it shocking. I hope I don't, but I'd have a GA next week without a second thought. Never thought I'd say that!!

If you've been awake or suffered awful pain DURING a GA, then you need to do something about it and report it. Something has gone seriously wrong.
AudreyII
USA

11-09-2014, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
Honestly, don't hassle yourself. In this day and age if you can hear everything that is said, in deep general anaesthesia, then there's something far wrong. Yes, for goodness sake take it up with the hospital. We've come on leaps and bounds with anaesthesia. There is no need for this and I find it shocking. I hope I don't, but I'd have a GA next week without a second thought. Never thought I'd say that!!

If you've been awake or suffered awful pain DURING a GA, then you need to do something about it and report it. Something has gone seriously wrong.
Well of COURSE one would do or say something about it after having experienced such a horrific thing... BUT then it's too late.. you have experienced it.. Now who in the heck wants to be awake with their guts filleted open? By then, to me, no amount of retribution would take away that experience.
Pats
Lincolnshire

11-09-2014, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
I think Meg when you repeat back to the Surgeon what he was talking about while he was operating , you can safely say you was awake
Depending on the level of conciousness you may still be able to hear, and you can become aware as you begin to 'come out' of anaesthetic.

Hearing is the last of our senses we loose.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2014, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
There is a problem here how do you know if you have actually awoken during an anesthetic or if you had a kind of dream and dreamt you did when you didn't .

On occasions I have dreamt I woke up and performed certain actions then awoke and found I had been asleep and dreaming all along
I have read about people dreaming they woke up but yes, how can anyone tell. Think I'd have local anaesthetic if at all possible as long as I can't see anything!
My brother in law had his hip done recently, I'm sure he had local anaesthetic.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top