Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2014, 07:43 PM

Re: Having Surgery

Come to think about it... VERSED is one of the drugs given during a general. Versed is an amnesiac. One does not remember anything while under versed.

How do I know? I have a fear of being awake and intubated. (breathing tube). Before my surgery, I wanted the anestesiologist to swear she would not awaken me until the endotrachial tube was removed. She said she could not promise that.. ANYWAY.... when I became conscious, the tube was out... I was happy. The anesthesiologist came to see me later and I thanked her for making sure the tube was out before I was awake. Her response was... "You were wide awake, and following commands before we extubated you" I have absolutely no memory of it. So I am wondering about the validity of the claims of those saying they were awake and remembering what was happening during their procedure.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2014, 07:50 PM

As i said before, I've worked in a surgical ward for over 25 years. Have seen people come back from ops sleeping, wide awake, laughing, vomiting. My mum vomited terribly after a GA. It was good for me to tell them this because they took extra precautions and gave me the meds to stop it.

A few years ago I went to a GA study day. The anaesthetists said that GA's had come on in leaps and bounds and that quite often it's your reaction to the GA, not the GA itself. They are extremely safe in this day and age.

I imagined myself to be hanging over a sick bowl, feeling awful, half asleep, maybe saying allsorts of ridiculous things (as is common). Instead it was almost as though I'd blinked and it had all "happened".

Me - who suffers from travel sickness - wide awake and feeling great after a GA - who'd have thought!!

I'm not saying it will be the same for everyone, but you have to see what it is for yourself.
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2014, 09:07 PM

I have had quite a few GAs, and I cannot remember ever dreaming. In * real life* I always dream, in fact I usually have nightmares.
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2014, 09:11 PM

I used to be very sick after a GA but as you have said, Alice76, they have come on in leaps and bounds. In fact I quite enjoyed the one I had last year. Woke up back in my room, all warm, cosy , and starving. I had the most sensational lunch of salmon. For me it was a day of respite, so I loved it.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2014, 09:46 PM

I've never been sick following GA... I have however woken up with a full blown crying jag.... and no idea why I was crying.. Strange..
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2014, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
I've never been sick following GA... I have however woken up with a full blown crying jag.... and no idea why I was crying.. Strange..
Audrey you're not alone. Lots of people waken up crying and they don't have a clue why!!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2014, 12:01 AM

How weird ! I wonder why?
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2014, 10:40 AM

I had my breast op in May. I had GA and before you go in for it you speak to the anaesthetist and tell her any fears you might have. I told her that
I had heard people wake up and I didn't want that happening to me.
She said it is very rare and they have new drugs nowadays that make it
nearly impossible. I said when I walked into the Theatre I want everyone to be happy as the song Happy by Pharrell Williams was what was getting me through my cancer. They said they would and I said I am putting myself on a beach in Barbados they said see you there then, and I said yes I will. Then nothing more until I woke up and was asked to try get up to climb into a bed. I was so hungry and had about 4 pots of tea and I said I feel OK.
So they told me I could go home and my Son came to pick me up. It was
a hospital visit of 6 and a half hours. I went in with good thoughts and that
I was happy and I came out hours later less some breast but HAPPY.
Think you have to go positive for anything like this. Also tell the staff to be happy whilst they are talking during the op and hope you feel as good as I did when I came out.
Some people who remember could have had a blood loss during their op.
Not a Nurse or anything but one would presume a blood loss could bring
out the anaesthetic and make it less than it should be??
I am sure one of you will tell me if I am wrong

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top