Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2014, 12:04 AM

Beta-Blockers

Do any of you take Beta-Blockers?
How do you get on with them, did they have nasty side affects in the beginning?
My doc has suggested I have them, but I'm not sure I want to yet.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2014, 07:35 AM

Re: Beta-Blockers

Mups, there are two types of Beta-Blockers - fat soluable and water soluable. One of these, I'm not sure which, can cause vivid, wierd and frightening dreams. My GP at the time just dismissed this saying "dreams wouldn't hurt me", but a later GP said "No problem, I'll change them".

So, check this with your GP. They aren't very good at telling you the downside of any medication, but some Beta-blockers really mess up your sleep.

(In the small print of possible side effects, "sleep disturbance" is listed. )
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2014, 08:25 AM

Yes I'm on Beta blockers,I'm taking Nebivolol,and Valstatin at the moment ,theres side effects with most BBs,these two are not so bad just feeling less energetic than normal .
You have to persist in finding whats best for you ,I've been on about 6 in the past 4 years in the beginning i felt worse on the tablets than off ,and i was getting angina type pains in my chest. I went back and forth to the GP who kept changing them ,
One tablet i hallucinated on ,i was waking up in a spiders web each day with Spiders as big as a dinner plate ,hallucination was listed as a side effect for some . I happen to be sensitive to meds. I had a one in a million side effect once ....
Theres going to be one that suits you,so keep try till you find it .
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 06:06 PM

Gawd, I've just been told I've gotta go on them and you lot have scared the crap out of me !
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 09:37 PM

Thankyou Grumblewagon & Eliza. I don't like the thought of the bad dreams at all. I know not all people get all side affects, but I'd sooner be forewarned of the possibility.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

16-09-2014, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Yes I'm on Beta blockers,I'm taking Nebivolol,and Valstatin at the moment ,theres side effects with most BBs,these two are not so bad just feeling less energetic than normal .
You have to persist in finding whats best for you ,I've been on about 6 in the past 4 years in the beginning i felt worse on the tablets than off ,and i was getting angina type pains in my chest. I went back and forth to the GP who kept changing them ,
One tablet i hallucinated on ,i was waking up in a spiders web each day with Spiders as big as a dinner plate ,hallucination was listed as a side effect for some . I happen to be sensitive to meds. I had a one in a million side effect once ....
Theres going to be one that suits you,so keep try till you find it .

Blimey Eliza, and the meds were supposed to LOWER your BP? I think mine would have gone through the roof!
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2014, 11:35 PM

I have been taking B Blockers along with Statins for more than ten years now which are successfully keeping my BP and my cholesterol under control. I have regular monthly blood tests and pressure checks and I have never had any side effects at all. Maybe the occasional dream but I've always had those like most people do.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

25-09-2014, 12:05 AM

Well I've just made an interesting discovery. I am never relaxed at my GP's surgery (same at hospital), so had a suspicion my BP might be higher there than it is normally.
So before I started the medication, I decided to do a little experiment of my own - I bought a home BP monitor, a proper "clinically validated" one.
I have taken my BP three times a day now for the past week, and it has consistently been in the 120's or 130's, completely different to the 150's/60's and higher at the surgery.
I understand that readings in the 130's can still not be good if there are other problems as well eg. diabetes, cardiovascular disease, or kidney disease, but I have today collected all my test results from the surgery and there are no other problems whatsoever.
I have recorded every single reading, and spoken to the pharmacist, and she advised me to make another appointment with the GP, take all the recordings with me, along with take the monitor used, and see what she thinks now.
This is what I will do next week.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2014, 06:56 AM

My ex wife went on them 30 years ago, she complained about hair on her arms - actually you could hardly see it but she had hairless arms previously. I should have listened but in those days I had a full head of hair.

It is probably too late for them now
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2014, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Well I've just made an interesting discovery. I am never relaxed at my GP's surgery (same at hospital), so had a suspicion my BP might be higher there than it is normally.
So before I started the medication, I decided to do a little experiment of my own - I bought a home BP monitor, a proper "clinically validated" one.
I have taken my BP three times a day now for the past week, and it has consistently been in the 120's or 130's, completely different to the 150's/60's and higher at the surgery.
I understand that readings in the 130's can still not be good if there are other problems as well eg. diabetes, cardiovascular disease, or kidney disease, but I have today collected all my test results from the surgery and there are no other problems whatsoever.
I have recorded every single reading, and spoken to the pharmacist, and she advised me to make another appointment with the GP, take all the recordings with me, along with take the monitor used, and see what she thinks now.
This is what I will do next week.
Good move, Mups. Sounds like you certainly don't need the tablets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top