Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2014, 07:50 AM

Re: Beta-Blockers

I think lots of us suffer from "White coat syndrome" when at the Docs or the hospital for minor things. My BP is normally taken three times with just a couple of minutes between each one. The third one is always the low one and I'm sure that's because I get just a little nervous of them finding something more sinister.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2014, 08:00 AM

Yep. Just before going to theatre for surgery a couple of years ago my BP was sky high (200/98). Went down when I was given the pre-op painkiller and within an hour of coming round it was back down to its usual healthy level. Anxiety is a powerful force!
Adriana Lindsey
New Member!
USA
Adriana Lindsey is female 

25-09-2014, 08:53 AM

Most people who take beta-blockers have no side-effects, or only minor ones. However, because of their action in various parts of the body, some people have unwanted side-effects.If you have diabetes you need to be aware that beta-blockers may dull the warning signs of a low blood sugar level (hypoglycaemia - often called a hypo). For example, you may not develop palpitations (the sensation of rapid, irregular, or forceful heartbeats) or tremor, which tend to occur as the blood sugar is going too low.
cinnamon girl
hampshire uk
cinnamon girl is female  cinnamon girl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2014, 08:09 AM

I have been on propranalol for a couple of years. i've had a couple of mild hallucinations but nothing scary.the worst thing tho was pains in legs or restless legs syndrome during the night making sleep impossible.I came of them for awhile with Docs approval and have recently restarted on a lower dose with so far no problems.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2014, 11:38 PM

I wonder why they didn't start you on a low dose to try in the first place Jen? Glad you're alright now anyway.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top