Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2014, 10:52 PM

Health risks with Wi-Fi

Now I'm not saying if this is right or wrong, but some of our more scientifically minded members might be interested in this article I saw today about the cumulative risks of microwave energy:

" Wi-Fi pulses at a constant level, which happens to the same frequency as brain waves.
Our immune system tries to combat this effect of microwaves but, over time, the response is eventually exhausted.

"According to the Bioinitiative 2012 report (www.bioinitive.org), health effects due to this type of electromagnetic radiation can be:
Neurological, Visual, Circulatory, Auditory and others like skin problems, digestive problems, dehydration, nosebleeds, impaired sense of smell and light sensitivity.

Research has also pointed to an increased likelihood of long-term effects, including various cancers, neurological disorders, and genetic effects like male sterility, miscarriage and birth defects.
It is also known that microwave radiation penetrates the bodies of young people more than it does adults, and these youngsters are going to be exposed for many more years than older people, so the possible long-term effects on our young, developing children are of particular concern".

I don't pretend to fully understand this, so is it scary stuff or a load of tosh?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2014, 11:28 PM

Re: Health risks with Wi-Fi

Mumps I have read a number of reports on Wifi and microwaves over the years and they frequently contradict each other as to the possible health risks involved with their use.

I have given up worrying about it, even if we choose not to have Wifi in our homes because so many others do we are probably surrounded by it a lot of the time anyway.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 12:32 AM

I agree Meg, there's been concerns re microwaves for several years, nothing has been proven so I'll continue to use mine until it kills me
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 03:01 AM

It's tosh, there is no conclusive evidence to show low power electomagnetic waves adversely affect the human body. The radiation from WiFi is miniscule (inverse square rule) and microwaves shouldn't leak radiation anyway (you can borrow test gear to check yours)

The biggest worry is probably mobile phones with a transmitter placed right against your brain but even then there is no conclusive evidence either way.

Nothing to worry about... yet
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Now I'm not saying if this is right or wrong, but some of our more scientifically minded members might be interested in this article I saw today about the cumulative risks of microwave energy:

" Wi-Fi pulses at a constant level, which happens to the same frequency as brain waves.
Our immune system tries to combat this effect of microwaves but, over time, the response is eventually exhausted.

"According to the Bioinitiative 2012 report (www.bioinitive.org), health effects due to this type of electromagnetic radiation can be:
Neurological, Visual, Circulatory, Auditory and others like skin problems, digestive problems, dehydration, nosebleeds, impaired sense of smell and light sensitivity.

Research has also pointed to an increased likelihood of long-term effects, including various cancers, neurological disorders, and genetic effects like male sterility, miscarriage and birth defects.
It is also known that microwave radiation penetrates the bodies of young people more than it does adults, and these youngsters are going to be exposed for many more years than older people, so the possible long-term effects on our young, developing children are of particular concern".

I don't pretend to fully understand this, so is it scary stuff or a load of tosh?
It is a proven fact that exposure to close proximity of microwaves is very dangerous i.e if you choose to get up close to a microwave oven during its use. I thought that was common knowledge.

Also, exposure to long use of mobile phones (radiation and close proximity to the ear close to the brain, is also dangerous as mobile phones are supplied by microwaves and can fry the brain after long term use). Again, common knowledge, or so I thought.

I remember having a very long conversation with a friend on my old mobile phone and I could feel heat building up in my head, and that's the truth, I swear.

Why responsible adults would give their kids mobile phones is beyond me, because it will most definitely scrambled their brains. Check it out for yourselves if you don't believe me.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
It is a proven fact that exposure to close proximity of microwaves is very dangerous i.e if you choose to get up close to a microwave oven during its use. I thought that was common knowledge.

Also, exposure to long use of mobile phones (radiation and close proximity to the ear close to the brain, is also dangerous as mobile phones are supplied by microwaves and can fry the brain after long term use). Again, common knowledge, or so I thought.

I remember having a very long conversation with a friend on my old mobile phone and I could feel heat building up in my head, and that's the truth, I swear.

Why responsible adults would give their kids mobile phones is beyond me, because it will most definitely scrambled their brains. Check it out for yourselves if you don't believe me.

Sorry but none of that is 'common' knowledge or scientific fact but come under the heading 'old wives tales'

A microwave oven is in a faraday shield and properly maintained NO radiation can escape. Look at the glass door, see the metal shield? The holes in it are smaller than the wave length of the radiation so it cannot pass though.

The heat you felt on your head could just as easily been generated by the battery after prolonged use.

There has been no study either scientific or statistical to support anything you just wrote.

BTW did anybody try the web site quoted? It doesn't exist, it's just rubbish.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->

e.

I believe you Mollie, I've got to, because the same happens to me, always has done, but I'm even worse because the landline begins to hurt the side of my temple after a while too! I've told the doc dozens of times that phones give me headaches, but they don't believe me, which really vexes me as I could prove it so easily if they came to my house and felt my face burning after a phone session. I always use any phone on 'speaker phone' now.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Sorry but none of that is 'common' knowledge or scientific fact but come under the heading 'old wives tales'

A microwave oven is in a faraday shield and properly maintained NO radiation can escape. Look at the glass door, see the metal shield? The holes in it are smaller than the wave length of the radiation so it cannot pass though.

The heat you felt on your head could just as easily been generated by the battery after prolonged use.

There has been no study either scientific or statistical to support anything you just wrote.

I'll go with this, sounds reasonable AND it's what I want to hear!
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 10:20 AM

I have got a microwave but very rarely use it, as I have more time now I tend to cook everything on the cooker.

I also have mobile phones but must admit I very rarely use it to call someone, I send texts from it and if I am out read my book on it, if I have not taken my ipad.

I think if something is going to get us be it the microwave or the mobile it will get us.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

16-09-2014, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

Yes Bruce, I tried the website and couldn't get it either. I'll try to find it again, maybe I spelt something wrong in the link.

P.S. Just checked that out and it was spelt wrong in the write-up. There was an 'a' missing. So before you go rubbishing things, check it out. The link should read:

www.bioinitiative.org) and I can assure you it DOES exist.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top