Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 11:15 AM

The Common Cold.

What do you do when you have a bad cold?

Apparently Paracetamol and Ibuprofen taken for colds and sore throats doesn't work. Even adding the two remedies together doesn't speed recovery from respiratory tract infections like colds and sore throats.
It is now suspected that over-the-counter drugs might even be extending the duration of a cold. This is because Ibuprofen in particular is an anti-inflammatory, and it can interfere with the body's own healing response to infections.
Researchers analysed 899 patients with respiratory tract infection who were told to take either of the remedies, or both together, while some were advised to try steam inhalations. Up to 70% reported that the remedies hadn't worked, and 2% suffered scalding from the steam!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 12:23 PM

Re: The Common Cold.

I just let nature take it's course Mups.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 12:24 PM

As a cold is a virus it will run its natural course whatever we do.
Paracetamol is theoretically taken to reduce the temperature.

Honey and lemon are soothing for a sore throat but don't actually make it better, likewise sucking cold sweets and drinking hot drinks because they help to produce saliva which keeps the throat moist.

Steam inhalations can have a temporary affect of making you feel better .

I have always been of the opinion that the rise in temperature is part of the bodies natural defences and as long as it doesn't get too high (really important in children of course ) it is best left alone.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 12:41 PM

Prevention is the best idea - extra Vit C, zinc chewable and Echinacea ......
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 02:18 PM

I usually take Echinacea during the winter months.... and I know I'm going to regret saying this but I haven't had a cold for years I used to get bad colds which always went to my chest and someone recommended taking Echinacea and I do tend to think that may be what is helping me.

I have heard people say that they have used it and it has reduced the severity of the cold symptoms.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 02:30 PM

I don't actually have many colds, probably because I eat a lot of garlic, I can't actually remember the last time I had a cold, but if I do, I just take paracetamols and gargle in salt water.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 03:10 PM

When I get a cold it`s not `man flu` it`s much worse.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
When I get a cold it`s not `man flu` it`s much worse.
...... but of course it is Stephan, would we think otherwise?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I usually take Echinacea during the winter months.... and I know I'm going to regret saying this but I haven't had a cold for years I used to get bad colds which always went to my chest and someone recommended taking Echinacea and I do tend to think that may be what is helping me.

I have heard people say that they have used it and it has reduced the severity of the cold symptoms.
Made me laugh Mags, I felt the same way posting - lets say 'so far' we've avoided the cold ........
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 05:21 PM

Not had a cold for years, do they become less as we get older? I used to get loads and always invested in night nurse and a big box of soft tissues!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top