Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2014, 11:54 PM

Re: Blocked ears

It sounds like he will just have to be patient. One of his ears actually cleared a short while ago, but that is about 14 hours after the last drops went in!
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 06:51 AM

I get this problem in one ear every so often. I've tried olive oil which doesn't do a thing, but Otex ear drops seem to clear it, but it does take time.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 10:18 AM

I have had this problem quite a few times but the last time was quite
a few years ago now. As mentioned the wax becomes like concrete in your
ears if its not oiled. May have now filled up the tube as well hence the deafness being so bad.
They wouldn't shringe my ears the last time and sent me to the EN and T
department at the hospital. I also get eczema in my ears so itching as well. They used a buzzing machine in mine which loosens the wax. Then
she dug down the ear with a small implement with something like a hook on it. Not recommended for home use
They did tell me after getting the wax out to keep on using a little oil in my ears but not everyday just enough to keep the wax soft.
My eczema still comes back now and again but was given some ear drops
which seem to cure the wax as well as the eczema so my ears have been the best the last few years than they had been for 50.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat ->
It sounds like he will just have to be patient. One of his ears actually cleared a short while ago, but that is about 14 hours after the last drops went in!
He is a bad case CC so it will take time, if in a couple of days there is no change, go to Boots and tell the pharmacist the olive oil is not working well and she will suggest something better before the syringe .... Hope all goes well
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat ->
It seems that the oil is doing it's job then CC.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 04:51 PM

USED to be able to front up to any old GP who'd SYRINGE your ears out with warm water on the spot - no mucking about.
NOW they insist on this softening process for at least a week before they'll touch 'em.
True .... a few people suffered damage to their ear drums before - but not many.
And the quacks do now get paid for (at least) TWO visits to do the job.

In Aus there is some stuff called Ear-clear which contains peroxide and that seems to prepare one for the syringe within a few days ... or even obviate the need entirely.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 07:03 PM

If all else fails there's always ear-candling, my middle daughter swears by it.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
USED to be able to front up to any old GP who'd SYRINGE your ears out with warm water on the spot - no mucking about.
NOW they insist on this softening process for at least a week before they'll touch 'em.
The old-fashioned big ear syringes have largely been replaced by modern irrigation machines, the machines can deliver the squirt of water at the correct pressure so there is no risk of there being too much pressure applied which may harm ( a problem with the old-fashioned syringes)
Softening the wax makes it easier to do a thorough job of clearing the wax.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2014, 12:06 AM

I used olive oil drops prior to having my ears syringed. It can't do any harm CC - it's only olive oil. Your hubby will feel wonderful after the syringing - tell him to persevere with the olive oil. (I only had to use it for a week before my syringing)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top