Join for free
Page 4 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 12:14 PM

Re: Changing a wall light switch

A photo would be nice, Lindyloo.

Whether do the work yourself is entirely up to you, but it would still be interesting to see a picture.

Whatever you do, I'm sure it is only a loose wire. A loose wire would explain the 'sizzling' sound which is caused by arcing. If it continues, it could cause overheating behind the switch and possibly a fire, so keep it turned off for now.

I'll predict that the problem is only a loose wire. Regardless of who does the job, correction of the problem is simple unless there has been some damage.

The loose wire will be re-inserted into the terminal and the screw tightened up. It is unlikely you'll need to buy a new switch.

If that is the case, inserting a loose wire and tightening the connection is not going to cost much at all if done by an electrician: probably just the call-out fee.

Anyway, I wouldn't do anything at all, apart from unscrewing the switch and taking a photo.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 12:45 PM

It's been my experience that the sizzling is usually down to carbon deposits on the contacts of a frequently used switch.

As JB says, A photo would be extremely helpful Lindy...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It's been my experience that the sizzling is usually down to carbon deposits on the contacts of a frequently used switch.

As JB says, A photo would be extremely helpful Lindy...
Yes, it could be the switch contacts. A picture would help! (Sorry, I'm trying to outdo the fish woman in the cracked record stakes!)
Emerald
Yorkshire
Emerald is female  Emerald has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 01:34 PM

Having slept with an electrician for 43 years, I believe that I have acquired this skill by osmosis. In fact, not to be a show off, I installed a new immersion heater a couple of years ago for one of my sons and only needed help with forcing the Boss off the copper cylinder. I will point out that we built our own house and I was a fully-employed labourer and not allowed to plead being a 'lady' as an excuse. However, bear in mind that I am a fully qualified idiot.
Just as an aside, I am looking to sleep with a Joiner (carpentry skills required) a Plumber (a new ceramic washer required on the kitchen taps) and a Roofer (so I can install a dry ridge).
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 01:41 PM

Almost all my lights were flickering when I first moved in despite being signed off by an electrician a few weeks earlier. Luckily, me being a mere plumber, I managed to re-insert the offending wires and tighten them properly.

EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 03:17 PM

So you had to do that job twice LD ?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 03:54 PM

Realspeed posts:

" Failure to comply with Part P of the Building Regulations is a criminal offence and could result in the order by the local authority to remove or put right faulty workmanship and fine you up to £5000.00. It could also make it difficult to sell your property in the future. "

If someone decides to do electrical work in their own homes and don't choose to register that work or even get it tested then there's nothing that I or anyone else for that matter can do about it.

As you rightly say, such work won't be highlighted until such time as the property may be inspected for selling purposes. Even then, the home-owner who carried out the work will generally not be prosecuted.

The following types of electrical work are non-notifiable:

Replacing accessories such as socket-outlets, control switches and ceiling roses
Replacing the cable for a single circuit only, where damaged, for example, by fire, rodent or impact (1)
Re-fixing or replacing the enclosures of existing installation components (2)
Providing mechanical protection to existing fixed installations (3)
Installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding (4)
Work that is not in a special location (bath and shower rooms, gardens etc) and consists of:
- adding lighting points (light fittings and switches) to an existing circuit (6)
- adding socket-outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit (6)
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
You are a little out of date with your information Judd

110-04-01

The Regulations are non-statutory regulations. They may, however, be used in a court of law in evidence to claim compliance with a statutory requirement. (Electricity at Work Regulations)
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Emerald ->
Having slept with an electrician for 43 years, I believe that I have acquired this skill by osmosis. In fact, not to be a show off, I installed a new immersion heater a couple of years ago for one of my sons and only needed help with forcing the Boss off the copper cylinder. I will point out that we built our own house and I was a fully-employed labourer and not allowed to plead being a 'lady' as an excuse. However, bear in mind that I am a fully qualified idiot.
Just as an aside, I am looking to sleep with a Joiner (carpentry skills required) a Plumber (a new ceramic washer required on the kitchen taps) and a Roofer (so I can install a dry ridge).

its one way of getting the jobs done i suppose .
I prefer to watch a Youtube Video on How to.
You dont have to put up with the snoring then
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

11-02-2017, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Almost all my lights were flickering when I first moved in despite being signed off by an electrician a few weeks earlier. Luckily, me being a mere plumber, I managed to re-insert the offending wires and tighten them properly.

Wouldn't you have preferred to have a trade?

Page 4 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top