Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2011, 03:28 AM

Carer eats patients food!

This made me so angry!

Carer ate food meant for patient with Alzheimer's

Northern Ireland's South-Eastern Health Trust has apologised after a care assistant admitted abusing a 70-year-old woman with Alzheimer's Disease.

The family of Ivy McCluskey, who were worried about her dwindling weight, secretly recorded Patricia Young eating food meant for her patient.

Mrs McCluskey died 12 weeks after Young stopped caring for her.

The 54-year-old of Mandeville Avenue in Lisburn, who has admitted two counts of abuse, will be sentenced next month.
See videos and full story here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12264415
Troopie
Adelaide, Australia
Troopie is female  Troopie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2011, 06:07 AM

Re: Carer eats patients food!

That's so sad. The guilt on the family must be terrible. We had a case here a few years ago where the nurses were bathing the patients in kerosine or metho. The patient were complaining of sore skin so it gave the staff more time in the day as they only had to bed bath them. They were found out and jailed. Quite rightly so.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2011, 12:08 PM

How low can you go eating a sick old ladies food?. There was a carer jailed over here last year for stealing money from a 90 year old Man. I think it's disgusting.
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2011, 12:25 PM

In US that sort of abuse goes on all the time-even with folks that are younger & in hospital for mental or handicapped reasons. Simply horrid.
jj'sgirl
Kent UK
jj'sgirl is female  jj'sgirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2011, 12:27 PM

That is an awful story...

My mum had carers as she has dementia she is now in a care home but she insisted that her carers ate all of her food as well..but in her case it was all in her mind..thank goodness
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2011, 12:57 PM

That is awful! I think the carer should be denied food for a week or more to see how she likes it!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2011, 03:05 PM

And in her own home as well !!
This poor lady's treatment is another example of what can and does happen when care of the elderly and vulnerable is contracted out to private agencies, who are not too fussy about who they employ.
I will never accept that privately owned "run for profit" agencies can provide the same quality of care and carers as our own Health Care providers and social services.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2011, 03:32 PM

You're bang on there Aerolor, you can't beat the care of dedicated personal.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2011, 10:01 PM

That is despicable......I really hope she gets what she deserves from the Courts........
june1958
Lancashire
june1958 is female  june1958 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2011, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
And in her own home as well !!
This poor lady's treatment is another example of what can and does happen when care of the elderly and vulnerable is contracted out to private agencies, who are not too fussy about who they employ.
I will never accept that privately owned "run for profit" agencies can provide the same quality of care and carers as our own Health Care providers and social services.
I thought this woman was working for Social Services Aerolor and they sacked her?

June x

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top