Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Jack Dawkins
London
Jack Dawkins is male  Jack Dawkins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 08:17 AM

Health warnings about alcohol

Today there is yet another report in the press warning about alcohol consumption. Does anybody actually take notice of these reports? I work on the basis that a little of what you fancy ( A glass of red wine with lunch and a glass with dinner in my case.) does you good and we've all got to die sometime.

Having seen two elderly relatives with dementia consigned to nursing homes, I'd sooner go with a glass in my hand and a song in my heart.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ys-major-study
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 08:40 AM

Re: Health warnings about alcohol

depends how much a day you are drinking and for how many days a week and how many weeks a year and so on? - the science shows limits to good health that's all?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 08:51 AM

Not really, i enjoy a drink , and like the OP its an occasional treat. It provides a range of taste experiences, and mental mood changes depending on time of day like food, relaxation, stimulation, and company.

I only drink at home now as pubs are now expensive souless glorified burger bars.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 09:03 AM

The ‘experts’ swing from one opinion to another, yes, wine (red) is good for you, then no it’s bad for you!

In France, to drink wine has always been part of their culture and l imagine they drink lots of it.
Do experts in their country, tell them it’s bad for them, like the experts do here?

A little of what you fancy does you good!
Jack Dawkins
London
Jack Dawkins is male  Jack Dawkins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Not really, i enjoy a drink , and like the OP its an occasional treat. It provides a range of taste experiences, and mental mood changes depending on time of day like food, relaxation, stimulation, and company.

I only drink at home now as pubs are now expensive souless glorified burger bars.
Me too, unless we are going out for a meal with friends or family when we usually get a cab. But when we visit other people it's always me doing the driving so that means no alcohol.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 09:15 AM

Alcoholics with dementia are no fun!
I don't want to be dealing with either disease.
I'll stick with tea

I'm weird enough as it is!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 09:18 AM

I'll still continue to add a small tot of Brandy to my morning coffee, irrespective of these warnings!!!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 09:23 AM

Which reminds me have run out of vino .
Jack Dawkins
London

24-08-2018, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Which reminds me have run out of vino .
Run out of wine!! Good god. Call an ambulance, your memory's going!!
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 10:06 AM

I drink 2 bottles of red every week with alcohol free days in between.
Should my liver give up the ghost one day, I don't care.
I'll keep drinking on other body parts, kidneys probably.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top