Join for free
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 01:32 AM

Re: Keeping Busy in Isolation

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Swine flu was a pandemic, and world wide around 700 million–1.4 billion people contracted the illness , so why is this so much worse ? I really don't remember hiding away in 2009, or even thinking about it much.
We went about our business , into work, shopping, no masks, no hand gels, just basic cleanliness .
I am beginning to feel a bit paranoid now, but is that due to the magnitude of the coverage, and another example of how we can be brainwashed so easily and forced to change our pattern of behaviour if the same thing is repeated over and over ?
With all due respect, this virus is very different.
The flu's you mentioned killed only one in a thousand people. Covid-19 kills 3.5 people/ ONE HUNDRED people. That is 30 times more deadly.
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
My daughter was talking about this today. She said if it comes to the point when we will have to stay indoors due to our age risk with this virus, she will do all our shopping for us. She says if we run out of food, she has plenty at her house if there is anything we desperately need. It's very reassuring for her to say that but I hate putting on other people having to do things for me. I know she has our interests at heart and I wouldn't hurt her feelings so I would succumb to her wishes.

What would we do indoors? Apart from the general house chores, we have several jigsaws, scrabble game, DVD's, Indoor Quoits, so I'm sure we could fill our time.
I like scrabble. I used to play it online with a dear friend in south africa who was housebound, sadly she passed away in her thirties. She had something called Friedrich's Ataxia. I can't remember the site now.

But I've also played lexulous before which is like scrabble but you get an extra tile. You can do it turn based via email or as a 'live' game I think. We used to do ours turn based via email because of the time difference.

I think Lexulous just notifies you by a pop up message if you have an ipad or such device. I think you can still sign up for it even if you don't have FB but I'm not sure I haven't played for a few years now, but maybe we could start a Lexi club? and play games on there with other members from this group?

You can do it online direct on their own website too if you only have a PC/laptop. There is a private message facility in the game too so you can chat with the person you're playing the game with at the same time.

https://www.lexulous.com/
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Care workers, doctors and nurses, etc., are just as vulnerable as everyone else, of course. If all the "sky is falling" predictions come true, the care and health sectors will collapse under the strain. Heaven help isolated and vulnerable people if that happens. IF.

I'm not saying we should take COVID-19 lightly, but lets get a grip on reality here and stop gibbering in panic at every pronouncement in the media. From what I've seen a lot of the people who have died have very often been reported as having "underlying conditions" as well. If ever there was a need for "Keep calm and carry on posters" it's right about now.
I agree the media exaggerate stuff. I mean every winter in some papers its going to be 'snowmageddon' but unless you live on the top of Ben Nevis it rarely is! .. i get that ... but this is more than just 'in the papers' .. look whats happening in other countries and how it's spreading!

It would be foolish to stick our heads in the sand and say 'it won't happen to me' as they are the kind of person likely to continue with their lives spreading it amongst others, not believing they are carrying it or could have possibly caught it from anyone else particuarly because people CAN BE symptomless but still infectious. That is exactly why it's spread so fast in Italy! (and probably due to the fact they are much more tactile with each other - kissing cheeks greeting thing).

..and lastly it's not much comfort that it's only killing older people with underlying conditions if YOU are one of those older people with underlying conditions!

Is this not a community full of older people, many with underlying medical conditions?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 09:37 AM

I can recommend "Book of Wordsearch Puzzles" by Aura. I've got the Garden Lover's edition. It's got lots of different puzzles, keeps me amused for ages.

I'm lucky I have loads of unfinished craft projects, crocheting a blanket and making a patchwork cover for my V pillow (bought ones are boringly plain). Paints and art materials not used for ages too!

Lots to do online, jigsaws, games etc.
No need to get bored.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 09:41 AM

If you're stuck for something to do, there's always Pinterest and Youtube videos, bound to be one on making things with all those toilet roll tubes!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 10:09 AM

I made a list of stuff I need to do around the house I started off really enthusiastic....then as the list grew I'm less so
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I made a list of stuff I need to do around the house I started off really enthusiastic....then as the list grew I'm less so
Snap Summer I keep telling myself I am retired now and don't have to do anything unless I feel like it
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Snap Summer I keep telling myself I am retired now and don't have to do anything unless I feel like it
So true Meg I'll keep that in mind
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 11:51 AM

Well, although I live in London, Hammersmith, quite central, close to millions, I'm in a quiet street, near a park, I can go out for walks, and survive, surely.

It's public transport I need to avoid. Yesterday I took a bus to Hyde Park corner, walked along Piccadilly, had a McD in Leicester Sq. and got the tube back. I did it all with my hands in my pockets, without touching anything especially handrails. But I'm not going to try that again, not so soon.
biffo
Norfolk UK
biffo is male  biffo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
McD in Leicester Sq
Hope you didn't use the touch screen thingy Dood

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top