Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2012, 04:37 PM

Root Canals (teeth)

Noticed we have a thread about gnashers so wondered if anyone has got any root canals and what your general health is like..

• How long have you had them?
  • Have you had problems with them?
  • How is your health generally?
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2012, 04:53 PM

Re: Root Canals (teeth)

I had a severe dental abcess many years ago and had two of my lower right molars root filled as a result. They must have lasted me about 15 years without any problems.

Then for some reason, they failed and the abcess came back with a vengence, although it started not as toothache, but as a series of headaches and migrianes. An Xray confirmed the presence of a large pocket of gunk sitting under a root-filled tooth and the reason for the failure was my idiotic dentist at the time only partially root-filled one side of the tooth having left part of his filing tool broken off and still inside the tooth canal.

The abcess had actually dissolved part of my jawbone and in effort to try and save the tooth, I went to a private endodentist in effort to extract the broken tool. After an hour (and the best part of £400), he gave up and my last option was to have the thing extracted. Being phobic of dental extractions, my dentist (the guy with the broken tool had long since retired) tried to pull it out, but my fears overcame her efforts, even when the tooth had broken in mid-pull and I was referred to a private clinic and get sedated.

If that wasn't enough - because the extraction was on top of a pocket full of pus, the blood clot later fell out and left a hole in my mouth with the jaw bone exposed to air. The pain drove me into emergency hospital to get the gum plugged and given a course of very powerful antibiotics.

It took three days for the pain to become manageable with standard aspirin and paracetamol before it slowly healed.

That was about six years ago and have since had a small partial denture just to restore a full mouthful of teeth.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2012, 04:59 PM

I had 2 done around 10 years ago, it was scary and a pit painfull at the time but once things settled down all was well.....and still is I'm glad to say as I really don't fancy repeating the experience.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2012, 05:48 PM

I have a number of root canals, at least 3 under crowns.

How long have you had them?
About 20 years
Have you had problems with them?
no not really except I lost a crown while at work and had to resort to filling the hole with dental chewing gum until I could get to the dentist
How is your health generally?
ok apart from my chest and that is more to do with living most of my life with smokers and smoking for a number of years myself than my teeth
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2012, 06:53 PM

What an horrendous story Graham, I had an abcess once and it was the worst pain I have ever experienced....
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2012, 08:59 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Graham - omg that sounds awful! I've had a few abscesses in a tooth I have a root filling in, and the pain has been awful!

Reason I asked about the health side, is because there is documented research on root canals and general ill health - and it's been concerning me lately.

Dr Weston Price, former Director of Research of the American Dental Association (for 14 years) has spent 35 years researching the relationship between systemic diseases of the body (such as Kidney & Heart Disease) from toxins that seep out of root-canal-filled teeth. His findings challenged the safety of root canal procedures and caused quite a controversy.

He found that by removing root-canal-filled teeth from people suffering from certain diseases, such as heart and kidney disease, saw most of the patients health improve.

To establish a relationship he tested it by removing root-filled-teeth from people with heart/kidney disease and inserting it under the skin of Rabbits (as their immune system is meant to be similar to humans). When he did this the rabbits died within two days (from the same disease the human had - heart or kidney). Yet when a normal human tooth was implanted the rabbits would live for a year with no adverse reaction.

From personal experience, my dietician warned me of root-canal-fillings over 10 yeas ago, and I also met someone who had suffered from terrible sciatica and after removing his root-filled teeth he said he made a full recovery. I remember him clearly because I saw him and was shocked that he had so many of his teeth removed! And that's when he told me.

Anyway, it's the studies that I find quite interesting, and I guess when you think about it - a root canal is the perfect environment for bacteria to grow unchallenged (as the nerve of the tooth is normally killed for the procedure, so no blood/defences can reach there to fight the bad bacteria off).
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2012, 12:36 AM

That's three topics about our teeth now, but in reply to this, as I said in my Teeth topic, I've never had a root canal or anything else really wrong with my teeth - thank goodness having read Graham's horror story!

It's just bad luck that this has happened to mine now.

Very informative stuff though about root canals.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2012, 09:11 AM

He found that by removing root-canal-filled teeth from people suffering from certain diseases, such as heart and kidney disease, saw most of the patients health improve.
So what did he put there instead Azz or did he just leave a big hole
I was advised to have crowns by my dentist. I have 6, two of them gold double ones. He said they were much more comfortably to eat with and felt like normal teeth compared with their alternative a false plate.

My sister has mostly false teeth and has had problems with them. There are a number of things she can't eat is including things containing seed.
Crowns have to be replaced after a certain time. If I manage to outlive mine I may consider an alternative .
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2012, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
So what did he put there instead Azz or did he just leave a big hole

That's what I was wondering as well Meg, surely once it's been drilled out it needs some sort of gunk to fill it in?...
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

09-05-2012, 04:54 PM

You get the whole tooth removed as soon as mine starts playing up again that's what I am going to do.

Then you have a few options, the dentist can create a false tooth from the same material they use for enamel fillings - they just 'stick' it to either side of your good teeth. My sister in law has one of these on one of her front teeth and she said it's fine. It looks pretty much like a normal tooth.

Or, you can have an implant, where they put in a 'screw' and then screw a false tooth into it - these are stronger and more like a real tooth for eating etc, but they cost quite a lot.

One thing I would suggest to anyone who has a root canal (or any filling really) is to get some high strength Manuka honey (at least 15+) and put that in your mouth around your teeth for a few minutes - if you feel a 'sizling' type sensation that means it is working against bacteria, which could indicate an old filling needs seeing to. You could also use the honey every few weeks to just kill the bacteria if you hate going to the dentist.

Also, if you can get some pure Mastic gum, and chew some of that - it also has antibacterial properties (and is good if you have h.pylori - which can cause stomach ulcers).

Re crowns/capped teeth, I think those are generally better as there isn't a void for bacteria to grow (as generally they're the opposite of a root canal).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top