Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2012, 04:57 PM

Re: Root Canals (teeth)

There is no doubt that your teeth and your heart have some sort of connection.
I have always looked after my teeth as much as possible, but I still have had heart trouble because of RA.
But before having a bypass I had to attend a dentist to get all cavities and extractions done before they would do my op.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2012, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
You get the whole tooth removed as soon as mine starts playing up again that's what I am going to do.

Then you have a few options, the dentist can create a false tooth from the same material they use for enamel fillings - they just 'stick' it to either side of your good teeth. My sister in law has one of these on one of her front teeth and she said it's fine. It looks pretty much like a normal tooth.

Or, you can have an implant, where they put in a 'screw' and then screw a false tooth into it - these are stronger and more like a real tooth for eating etc, but they cost quite a lot.

One thing I would suggest to anyone who has a root canal (or any filling really) is to get some high strength Manuka honey (at least 15+) and put that in your mouth around your teeth for a few minutes - if you feel a 'sizling' type sensation that means it is working against bacteria, which could indicate an old filling needs seeing to. You could also use the honey every few weeks to just kill the bacteria if you hate going to the dentist.

Also, if you can get some pure Mastic gum, and chew some of that - it also has antibacterial properties (and is good if you have h.pylori - which can cause stomach ulcers).

Re crowns/capped teeth, I think those are generally better as there isn't a void for bacteria to grow (as generally they're the opposite of a root canal).
Azz I am confused what are we talking about here . I thought a 'root canal' was a type of filling that was done before a crown was inserted
In my case the dentist removed the crumbling outer layer of my tooth then carried out a 'root canal filling' by inserting needles of different lengths into the pulp of my tooth to kill the nerve. A post was then inserted into the hole and a crown fitted to the post.
I may have got this very wrong I didn't research the proceedure before the dentist went ahead, teeth are something I prefer not to think about too closely. As long as I can eat and don't experience any pain I am happy

What do you mean my 'root canal'.

I found out years ago that the amalgam filling in my teeth contain mercury I have had them since my early teens (thanks to my idiot dentist) and I understand I have been slowly poisoned since then, I can't do much about that now.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2012, 07:25 PM

Hi Meg

You can get your amalgam fillings replaced with safe enamel fillings - my dentist is a holistic dentist, and he has removed all of my mercury fillings over the years (I don't think I have many tbh). You need to get it done from a holistic dentist, as they take extra precautions - the last thing you want is to swallow it

Re root canals and crowns... looks like you've had both it isn't common but is possible.

A root canal is as you describe, removing the middle of the tooth and filling it. A crown is where the exterior of the tooth is filled down and a 'cap' fitted over the top. You seem to have had the root canal and then the cap - this is possible (and my dentist suggested it was a possibility for my tooth once). However, it still means that you have a root canal.

I would try getting the Manuka Honey and see how that feels - when I first tried it I had the same feeling (although more intense) than when taking antibiotics for the abscess. Which seems to reflect Dr Westons findings. I am also using mastic gum beads, and the funny thing is some of my other teeth felt sensitive when I first start it but they feel better now. I will start a thread about it in a mo
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2012, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
There is no doubt that your teeth and your heart have some sort of connection.
I have always looked after my teeth as much as possible, but I still have had heart trouble because of RA.
But before having a bypass I had to attend a dentist to get all cavities and extractions done before they would do my op.
Even my dentist told me heart disease can be linked to abscesses in teeth
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2012, 10:46 PM

I've a couple of root canals that are crowned.

I believe in Manuka honey - take it every day.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2012, 10:57 PM

You can get your amalgam fillings replaced with safe enamel fillings - my dentist is a holistic dentist, and he has removed all of my mercury fillings over the years (I don't think I have many tbh).
Azz as the majority of my teeth are filled and many fragile I don't think this would be an option for me. It would also cost thousands of pounds.
As I have had many fillings for over 50 years I guess it is now too late to avoid damage from murcury.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

11-05-2012, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Berxer ->
I've a couple of root canals that are crowned.

I believe in Manuka honey - take it every day.
Don't overdo it mind as it feeds candida

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Azz as the majority of my teeth are filled and many fragile I don't think this would be an option for me. It would also cost thousands of pounds.
As I have had many fillings for over 50 years I guess it is now too late to avoid damage from murcury.
Some dentists have their own monthly schemes, which could work out cheaper although I cancelled my last years as it started to get expensive at £25 odd a month (started off at £15 a month!).

Not sure if NHS dentists will replace them - tho I think they may charge you a bit extra if you want non-mercury ones... so could work out cheaper than going private

Maybe some Manuka Honey every few weeks will do a good enough job tho
sugarbug
canada
sugarbug is female  sugarbug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2014, 03:45 AM

I had one in the past and I will be getting another one shortly ...
I had a root canal then a crown ...
I now need a root canal on my bottom back wisdom tooth ...
Guess that tooth wasn't the smart after all ...
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2014, 09:08 AM

The two teeth I had root-canal filled - one eventually had to be surgically removed at the local hospital, and the other just crumbled away over time and left a gap. Would never have it done again - I'd rather have the tooth removed. Dentistry in this country can be horrendous.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2014, 10:09 AM

I have a couple of root canals under caps and veneers that were infected during the drilling process that went with removing the old bits and have had no trouble over the years, 30, for the caps. Also the dentist has to be very careful removing the mercury from the old fillings, I chose to leave mine in place.
I had a white filling put in a front tooth some years ago but they're not generally available on the NHS.
I would love implants but at upwards of £1200 a shot I can't see that happening anytime soon!!

My overall health is excellent, no pills or potions, allergies etc so no complaints here...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top