Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2014, 10:12 AM

Re: Root Canals (teeth)

Originally Posted by 2wheeler ->
The two teeth I had root-canal filled - one eventually had to be surgically removed at the local hospital, and the other just crumbled away over time and left a gap. Would never have it done again - I'd rather have the tooth removed. Dentistry in this country can be horrendous.
In all my years - I have only ever found 'one' good dentist ...
I am now dentist-less - I detest them ......
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2014, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Thanks for the replies guys.

Dr Weston Price, former Director of Research of the American Dental Association (for 14 years) has spent 35 years researching the relationship between systemic diseases of the body (such as Kidney & Heart Disease) from toxins that seep out of root-canal-filled teeth. His findings challenged the safety of root canal procedures and caused quite a controversy.

He found that by removing root-canal-filled teeth from people suffering from certain diseases, such as heart and kidney disease, saw most of the patients health improve.

To establish a relationship he tested it by removing root-filled-teeth from people with heart/kidney disease and inserting it under the skin of Rabbits (as their immune system is meant to be similar to humans). When he did this the rabbits died within two days (from the same disease the human had - heart or kidney). Yet when a normal human tooth was implanted the rabbits would live for a year with no adverse reaction.

From personal experience, my dietician warned me of root-canal-fillings over 10 yeas ago, and I also met someone who had suffered from terrible sciatica and after removing his root-filled teeth he said he made a full recovery. I remember him clearly because I saw him and was shocked that he had so many of his teeth removed! And that's when he told me.

Anyway, it's the studies that I find quite interesting, and I guess when you think about it - a root canal is the perfect environment for bacteria to grow unchallenged (as the nerve of the tooth is normally killed for the procedure, so no blood/defences can reach there to fight the bad bacteria off).
I honestly don't think there is any connection between having had root canal treatment and kidney disease or heart disease.
Of course someone who already has other ailments may have root canal treatment or indeed someone who has had root canal treatment may develop kidney or heart disease but I don't believe that having the dental treatment caused the other diseases or made them worse.

Personally speaking I have had root canal treatment done since I was in my 20's and the teeth are still there. I have had to have a bridge which is supported by root canal treated teeth also with crowns. All my major dental work including quite a lot of root canal work was done in my 20's and early 30's, the dentist was excellent and very little has needed to be done since.
I don't have kidney disease, heart disease or sciatica.
I do have a prolapsed disc in my neck but that was as a result of a fall when I fractured a vertebra there when I was a child.

As other people have said there is a relationship between dental decay and heart disease but the bacteria and toxins in a decayed tooth which may be entering the blood stream is a fairly obvious one. Having said that you sometimes see elderly people with terrible teeth who live into their 90's.

I feel pretty sure that I will succumb to various ailments as you do with advancing age but I honestly don't think it will be because I had root canal treatment in the past.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2014, 04:44 PM

Dr Weston Price?

He is well known for his 'theories'

Most of the misinformation concerning root canal comes from the "research" of a dentist named Dr. Weston A. Price and the debunked focal infection theory.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top