Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 06:11 PM

Re: What Exactly Is ‘Baiting’ On Forums?

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
And me!
But I already knew
Cheeky...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Cheeky...
Even better.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 09:31 PM

Yep, baiting, been going on for so long, no wonder so many have said "So Long".
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 09:53 PM

Having worked in a factory with 25 other blokes for 35 years baiting happens all the time Arty, it's just part of factory life and you become immune to it. It's a bit harder to spot on a forum because you don't know anybody personally, especially when you are a newby, but after a while all the usual suspects become visible. Try not to get drawn, and either ignore it or use your sense of humour.....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 09:58 PM

Some baiting goes on and some indirect probing.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 10:33 PM

It's interesting. Baiting seems to be a very common pastime here. Lots of argument - which is fine in itself - But it doesn't take much for it to get beyond discussion and into bitchy and nasty sometimes. I guess that's to be expected. It's the internet where manners don't seem to matter much to some people. But that's pretty much normal too anywhere I suppose. Like for example even if I disagree vigorously with somebody I will not just say "Rubbish!"..or "Nonsense" as a first response. To me that's kind of like telling the person they are rubbish?..Just poor manners IMO. Baiting though is just having a cunning talent to find a weak spot with somebody or being able to guess where their vulnerabilities are. Then go for that spot. The spot where they know it might hurt. The reaction is the reward. So they can sit back smugly and say something like "NO sense of humour? (haha)..or accuse them of being thin skinned. Or the old chestnut.."I'm entitled to my opinion"..Yes they are but how far does the "entitlement" go?.. Not much different to bullying really. Of course it's different when it's incoming to them. Often they can dish it out but can't take it. If I strike this kind of thing - anywhere- I agree that the best reaction is none. That can be a tall order when somebody belittles you or trivialises your view...or you. Unless of course if it's physical. Not much chance of that here THat said above by Old Grey Fox is great advice BTW. I agree totally.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

21-08-2019, 10:43 PM

What about indirect probing?, and creative personas?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
What about indirect probing?, and creative personas?
I think I know what you mean there. Set me on track if I'm wrong. Do you mean finessing information from people by way of round about conversation or vague open ended questions? Or saying something about yourself to extract information from a likewise response? Creative personas?..Do you mean somebody who embellishes their life or identity with exaggerations or outright untruths?..Either grandiose things about how rich, successful or interesting they are? Or others that make up stories about serious illness, injury or hardship to get sympathy?..Or maybe the stories are true. But either way they do the "martyr" thing? ..The latter can sometimes be a round about way of saying "I'm tougher than you. I've been through more than you. It's people like me that keep you safe and comfortable..My opinions are more valid than yours...So..I'm better than you..so..shut up..etc etc"..You with me?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 11:16 PM

PMs are the worst kind. All those snide remarks and backstabbing going on out of sight.
keezoy
Australia

21-08-2019, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
PMs are the worst kind. All those snide remarks and backstabbing going on out of sight.
Hey Floydy. I think I probably agree with you. I usually do but what's a PM? Also while we're here. what's a "WUM" ?

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top