Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2016, 10:47 AM

Re: Do you use your local Library?

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Yes Jazzi I used to use the main one a lot when I was working and before ebooks. It was such an interesting place. I could pop in there on my way home to change my books.
There is still one in highams park, but there is talk of that being closed. We still have the main one in station road Chingford. The one in hall lane has been closed.
As I said earlier I rarely use them now.
Emjay, it's the Highams Park one I meant that has had the reprieve. And I know there is now only a community library in Chingford itself. Wood Street is destined to be moved to Marlowe Road, which will be further away from me.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2016, 11:55 AM

Our library no longer belongs to the local authority - it has been taken over - and that is when the rot set in.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2016, 12:28 PM

Hi

We have a very small travelling library, now cut to once a fortnight.

Such is life in the sticks.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2016, 01:11 PM

we have a thread elsewhere asking "is british culture dying" or words to that effect - you have some disturbing examples here!
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2016, 04:29 PM

I used our local library only this week to get some photocopying done...first time id ever set foot in the place but it was very nice there,lots of computers ,I may even go again now lol....I can remember taking books from a mobile travelling library when I was a child which used to come into the village regularly,I used to love the smell of the books in there
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2016, 05:11 PM

I use the library and order books to collect there too .
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2016, 04:45 PM

I wrote a poem abut a library once.

Forgotten Library

There, on shelves lie never read,
Novelists and children's books,
Forgotten poets now long dead,
In this room where no one looks.

Comfy chairs, an open fire,
Peaceful quietness, cold within,
The place they once went to retire,
Has only lonely ghosts of kin.

Adults have no time to read,
Children, have the net, you see,
It's sad they haven't got the need,
This room, it craves their company.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2016, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I use ours regularly, I always get three or four books out at a time and then I'm sure that I'll enjoy at least one of them!
Yes I use mine regularly too Tess. I usually get 6 books out. If I've nothing to read, I'm dead

Our library has stuff going on most days, you know things like the 'scrabblers', coffee mornings, exhibitions and talks and the noisiest has to be Friday mornings when it's the kids story time. Bring back 'Silence' in libraries I say

And there's the free use of the computers. A boon when my laptop went belly up not long ago. I hot footed it down to the library to use their computers to find info on the problem.

The machines are a problem .... you know for booking out or returning or renewing. They always seem to have problems and freeze up
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2016, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Just to add that I can order/reserve a book from my library online.
Takes about 10 seconds.
Just ordered The Wonder by Emma Donoghue, it's radio 4 's book at bedtime. I'm the 6th in the Q...
You sound like me ... the lazy way to pick books. then stroll in and collect them.

You do meet some characters there though.
There was the elderly chap who used to fall asleep in a comfy chair in the corner everyday and swear at anyone who woke him up .. the librarian didn't like to ask him to leave. Poor chap was trying to save on his heating bills so came to the library. We tip toed around him.
cAnd then there was me friend Brian Big Paws, retired, ex-army... who got banned after threatening to throw some kids out of one of the upstairs windows as they were noisy and they ran home and told their dad.

Full of community spirit are libraries.

I'm a helpful soul ... so when the librarian ,Ian, very nice chap .. told me there was a beam across the entrance counting how many visitors there was for a survey gauging the libraries popularity I spent half an hour going in . and out .. and in ..and out ... bit like when I flounce from here come to think of it.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2016, 04:27 AM

I sleep in mine mostly!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top