Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 01:43 AM

Re: Vitamins for general health

Before I retired, my discipline was applied psychology but my work involved a lot of work with doctors, physicians, physios, rehab providers, dietitians and other allied health professionals. I seldom - if ever- heard any of them sing the praises of any packaged vitamins. They all, especially the dietitians said that a good balanced diet with all the food groups in varying amounts would supply all the vitamins one needs and then some. The thing is the food has to be fresh, not processed. If you live on pre- packaged and processed food all the time- and worse still -junk food, vitamin supplements will not do zip.
The Mediterranean diet is hard to beat for all round health. Always fresh with not too much sugar and salt. Asian food is delicious but often has too much salt. I think Vietnamese and Japanese are the healthiest.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 06:44 AM

Over 8 years doctors told me that my Vit D was low, so I should take supplements. I bought some and took the highest dose they sold over the counter.
18 months ago my doctor phoned and said I needed to take Vit D supplements, but when I told her that I had been doing for the last 8 years she said I should come in to see her.
I did and she prescribed 3 months of supplements. They increased my Vit D readings considerably & my readings have remained normal since. To me, this implied that over the counter vitamins don't help when your levels have fallen too much.
A simple blood test will tell you if you have a deficient level of any vitamin, so if you are concerned get it checked! Sometimes over the counter pills are not enough to solve the problem!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 07:36 AM

I take loads of vitamins and minerals, I eat meat, fish, fruit,veg, a good balanced diet. If I had a deficiency my GP would tell me.

If I took supplements I would be ingesting more than my body needs, and would be a waist of time & money.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 08:06 AM

Had bloods done a couple of weeks ago - full profile. Everything was good - except the Vit D - which was slightly low. I promised to go and lie on the roof for 10 mins next time the sun shone (if it ever does) GP was happy to leave it at that!

It kept on raining so what I did was go and buy more mushrooms, eggs, prawns and fresh tuna.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 10:35 AM

I find B3 good for "mood" and sleep.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 11:42 AM

Because I have felt quite achy and tired recently - more than usual - I had my bloods done 3 weeks ago and was found to be deficient in vit.D. My diet is good (probably too good) so I was a bit surprised. Anyway the doc. put me on a high dose of vit.D and then said I should probably keep taking it. Six months follow up made. She said my aches and pains should improve a bit. It is surprising how many people are deficient in vit.D.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Because I have felt quite achy and tired recently - more than usual - I had my bloods done 3 weeks ago and was found to be deficient in vit.D. My diet is good (probably too good) so I was a bit surprised. Anyway the doc. put me on a high dose of vit.D and then said I should probably keep taking it. Six months follow up made. She said my aches and pains should improve a bit. It is surprising how many people are deficient in vit.D.
The best way to get Vit D is from the sun and given that most older people are unlikely to walk round in skimpy clothing we don't expose our skin to the sun as much.
Some cancer treatments are thought to reduce your ability to absorb the vitamin & of course we older folk are aware that too much exposure to the sun can cause skin cancer.

One doctor told me that all people who live in areas around the UK should take supplements through the winter as we don't get enough sun, and that is what we need to maintain good Vit D levels.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 01:12 PM

Yes I do take supplements and my medical providers recommend certain ones like vitamin D, as well as fish oil and a multiple.

Since I walk everyday outside for about an hour at least a day, I get some vitamin D but I take plenty of supplemental vitamin D especially in the winter.

My vitamin levels were checked for this and I’m fine.
Vitamin B I take mainly for my moods since I have a depressive disorder and I really feel it when I start forgetting them. Acidophilus to build up my helpful gut bacteria and a supplement for hair & nails to keep them strong.

While transitioning into menopause I also used evening primrose oil for night sweats and other hormone related problems but have since stopped taking it since these symptoms went.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
The best way to get Vit D is from the sun and given that most older people are unlikely to walk round in skimpy clothing we don't expose our skin to the sun as much.
Some cancer treatments are thought to reduce your ability to absorb the vitamin & of course we older folk are aware that too much exposure to the sun can cause skin cancer.

One doctor told me that all people who live in areas around the UK should take supplements through the winter as we don't get enough sun, and that is what we need to maintain good Vit D levels.

Although I am outside quite a lot Twink, I do avoid the sun as it plays havoc with my skin if it is exposed too much. I come out in an itchy rash and get most uncomfortable. I need a sun blocker on all the exposed parts. I think it is something to do with hay fever because in the years when I don't suffer much with hay fever it tends to come out in my skin, so I avoid the sun whenever I can. Never been a sunbather and I am really most comfortable when the weather is cooler - just bright, but not a lot of sun.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

20-06-2019, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Although I am outside quite a lot Twink, I do avoid the sun as it plays havoc with my skin if it is exposed too much. I come out in an itchy rash and get most uncomfortable. I need a sun blocker on all the exposed parts. I think it is something to do with hay fever because in the years when I don't suffer much with hay fever it tends to come out in my skin, so I avoid the sun whenever I can. Never been a sunbather and I am really most comfortable when the weather is cooler - just bright, but not a lot of sun.
Ask you doctor to arrange a blood test, to see how low you are. If you are as low as 12.5 ng/mL then you should ask for a prescription to correct it. The prescribed meds work much better than the over the counter ones. Then go back for another test, after the course, to see how much difference it has made.
If i had known this 8 years ago I wouldn't have suffered so much pain from my deficiency..... all because the NHS were trying to save money on prescriptions!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top