Join for free
Reply
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Bruce's Avatar
Bruce
Chatterbox
Bruce is offline
Wollongong, Australia
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 8,082
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
05-09-2017, 02:28 AM
21

Re: Australia......

Originally Posted by Missy ->

Our trouble is that while mum is with us still we can't go for long. But with sister in Perth and Son in Sydney , we need at least a month out there. So as to when we will get there I don't know, but I'm saving for it
You really do need at least a month. I have friends from the UK who have come for a couple of weeks because of their jobs but really what do they see? Distances are vast compared to the UK even a trip from Sydney to Broken Hill will take at least a week if you drive there and back (and rush) yet you still haven't left NSW (though you are in a different time zone)

My brother came last year for a month; flew to the Barrier Reef and Melbourne but still ran out of time and didn't even get to the Blue Mountains. He is coming back in February.

Backpackers get the best deal with their outback working visas so they can stay for up to 2 years.
Reply With Quote
summer's Avatar
summer
Senior Member
summer is offline
yorkshire
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 4,371
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
05-09-2017, 08:52 AM
22

Re: Australia......

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
So, when are you coming to visit, summer? In winter?
I would Plopps but as you know I hate spiders and your spiders are massive anyway you didn't book the church! tuts
Reply With Quote
Missy's Avatar
Missy
Senior Member
Missy is offline
The Beautiful Glens Of Antrim
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 2,761
Missy is female  Missy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
05-09-2017, 09:37 AM
23

Re: Australia......

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
You really do need at least a month. I have friends from the UK who have come for a couple of weeks because of their jobs but really what do they see? Distances are vast compared to the UK even a trip from Sydney to Broken Hill will take at least a week if you drive there and back (and rush) yet you still haven't left NSW (though you are in a different time zone)

My brother came last year for a month; flew to the Barrier Reef and Melbourne but still ran out of time and didn't even get to the Blue Mountains. He is coming back in February.

Backpackers get the best deal with their outback working visas so they can stay for up to 2 years.
Our son went on an out back visa, he now has citizenship

We will probably get their when we retire. That's why I'm saving now. It will be the once in a lifetime trip and if I'm going to travel that far, I want to see as much as I can and I know that means a lot of internal flights and of course being older, I don't want to have to penny pinch and slum it I understand the cost of living is pretty horrendous out there

Fella I'm working to ATM has a brother in Perth and his brother flies over here for a weekend Would take me a week to recover from the flight
Reply With Quote
Mr Ploppy's Avatar
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Mr Ploppy is offline
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 8,296
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
05-09-2017, 09:57 AM
24

Re: Australia......

Originally Posted by summer ->
I would Plopps but as you know I hate spiders and your spiders are massive anyway you didn't book the church! tuts
No massive spiders where I live, they're all on the East Coast.
The churches are quite massive though. Tell me your favorite denomination and I'll see what I can do.
Reply With Quote
Bruce's Avatar
Bruce
Chatterbox
Bruce is offline
Wollongong, Australia
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 8,082
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
05-09-2017, 01:33 PM
25

Re: Australia......

Originally Posted by Missy ->
We will probably get their when we retire. That's why I'm saving now. It will be the once in a lifetime trip and if I'm going to travel that far, I want to see as much as I can and I know that means a lot of internal flights and of course being older, I don't want to have to penny pinch and slum it I understand the cost of living is pretty horrendous out there
Strange thing prices I can only go by my most recent experience in the UK but that was a few years ago now. Supermarket food here is more expensive but restaurant, club food and take ways are much cheaper, train and basic travel costs are cheaper here but overseas travel is more expensive, electronic goods and white goods are cheaper here as are clothes.

The cost of living is higher here but then so are our wages and pensions - swings and roundabouts I guess.

Personally having lived in both countries I have always been much better off here both financially, socially and in life style and that is without considering the space and climate. I certainly wouldn't want to live here on a UK pension or wage but with my pension I live very well.
Reply With Quote
Muddy's Avatar
Muddy
Chatterbox
Muddy is offline
UK
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 17,612
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
06-09-2017, 03:30 PM
26

Re: Australia......

If you are going to fly internally in Australia it's best to book all your flights before leaving the UK otherwise they are horrendously expensive.
Reply With Quote
OldGreyFox's Avatar
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
OldGreyFox is online now
South Yorkshire
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 7,474
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
07-09-2017, 11:44 AM
27

Re: Australia......

If I had a 'Bucket List' which I don't, a visit to Australia would be at the top of it....
I would love to visit Aus....Mainly for the great open spaces of the 'Outback' and of course the mountains....Perhaps one day before I get too old to fly that far it might be possible.....Watch this space Bruce and Ploppy.....
Reply With Quote
Mr Ploppy's Avatar
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Mr Ploppy is offline
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 8,296
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
08-09-2017, 07:13 AM
28

Re: Australia......

If you get too old to fly, just go by plane.
Reply With Quote
Missy's Avatar
Missy
Senior Member
Missy is offline
The Beautiful Glens Of Antrim
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 2,761
Missy is female  Missy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
08-09-2017, 03:16 PM
29

Re: Australia......

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
If you get too old to fly, just go by plane.


Hehehehehehe

If money was no object I'd love a round the world ticket - first class

Better go buy a lotto ticket
Reply With Quote
OldGreyFox's Avatar
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
OldGreyFox is online now
South Yorkshire
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 7,474
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
08-09-2017, 08:37 PM
30

Re: Australia......

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
If you get too old to fly, just go by plane.


I'd rather cruise Ploppy......
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.