Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 03:22 PM

Re: Cost of dining out

Do they still expect a tip after paying those high prices?
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by PooBear ->
Having been a chef and experienced the arty farty presentation of the menu, I would prefer a solid plate of well cooked food.

However, there are and ever will be, those completely snobbish arseholes who don't know a Steak Dianne from a Coronation Chicken, who 'oooh' and 'aahh' at the arty farty side of the business.

Let them pay £75 per head for presentation. More money than sense.
Spot on. It never fails to amaze me how incredibly stupid some people are.

Rather like certain kinds of so-called art, and the so-called art critics. When a few "art critics" write articles which swoon over an artist who makes paintings that you can not identify what the heck it is, or in the case of "the invisible statue", I can not help but think a certain percentage of the population is totally wacko.

Same with "arty" foods. Tiny bits of food and perhaps a flower, which would not fill-up a 4 year-old child.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Do they still expect a tip after paying those high prices?
Of course - their wages are kept low on that expectation.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 05:30 PM

FWIW for a decent-ish pub lunch we expect to pay iro £25 each plus drinks and tip of about 10% on top. For a nice evening meal in a half decent restaurant - iro £50 each minimum plus tip. Wine? £30 - £50 for a bottle of NOT plonk.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 05:56 PM

You don’t mind paying if the meal is nice. What l find is, you start going to these places and the food is lovely and then suddenly, it goes off!
You dare not complain and send your meal back in case they spit on it, or add diahorrea (sp!) powder on it!

I can’t bear those pretty, artistic meals that don’t fill you. I prefer good, hearty tasty food that’s hot and is served on hot plates!!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Yes you can but that's only my humble opinion having eaten real Chinese food in real Chinese restaurants in Malaysia.

Know what you mean. When Sue and I went to China the food is totally different, over here it has been "westernised".
Even having breakfast in the hotel in Bejing it was a guessing game what the food was.

One thing I did notice was a guy walking past in the corridor outside where we were eating, he did this 3/4 times which made me suspicious , no doubt checking for security reasons?
the Emporers palace in Bejing were we sat done for a huge meal

also stopped of in this street for a restaurant meal
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 07:08 PM

We have no interest in eating out proper in this country ... food & service is second rate, and certainly not cheap. We save ourselves for holidays abroad. Having said that, we do - virus permitting - know of some good lunchtime canteen type places. These tend to be pasta or oriental. We do like Sushi, and there are more places offering a seat nowadays inc. our local waitrose.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Yes I have noticed prices have gone up but where I go is still affordable and very nice food. £12.95 for a chicken and bacon salad which was lovely.

Like others have said here its down to trying to recoup their losses.

I might pay up to £20 but I wouldn't eat out regularly, . I dont mind a nice jacket with chilli or poached egg on toast from a cafe, im not bothered about posh.
I went to an Italian a couple of weeks ago and it came out of them stupid slate things. I wasn't impressed, it was too expensive although I have to say the staff were wonderful.

£75 and I wouldnt even contemplate it.
Don’t start me on bits of slate! Only ate off one once and it set my teeth on edge. Never again, I always ask now whether food is served on a plate.

My other pet hate is eating off a wooden board.

Why do places come up with these daft ideas?
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
You don’t mind paying if the meal is nice. What l find is, you start going to these places and the food is lovely and then suddenly, it goes off!
You dare not complain and send your meal back in case they spit on it, or add diahorrea (sp!) powder on it!

I can’t bear those pretty, artistic meals that don’t fill you. I prefer good, hearty tasty food that’s hot and is served on hot plates!!

Years and years ago my late Dad worked at a hotel and he used to say that the Italian waiters used to be all over diners on their first night. If they didn’t leave a tip they would spit in their soup and stir it every evening after that and serve it with a smile.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 07:26 PM

That's disturbing.....

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top