Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 07:34 PM

Re: A thought for Monday

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
The NHS have saved my life on more than one occasion Barry and my dentist has also been very helpful over the years. I didn't say there had been no progress Barry, I asked Dex for an example, which he was forthcoming with (thanks Dex) I also said that the medicines have got more complex, and so have the illnesses. It's a game of 'catch up' we conquer one disease, and then up pops another....So are we any further forward really? People still die, as they always will, and as they did in Voltaire's day, the only progress is the fact that we can reduce the pain and suffering and extend life for a few years.

I would not rely on you to tell me when it was safe to cross the road Barry, I will make my own judgement when I consider it safe, and it's the same with the vaccine, when I consider it's safe to have the vaccination I will, and all the intimidation in the world won't make me change my mind. I object to be called an anti vaxxer and lumped together with people who have a completely different opinion to mine.
We will never be free of disease. Hygiene antibiotics and vaccines mean that a lot of us get to develop other conditions because we didn't die young. Death and taxes etc.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
People live a lot longer than they did in Voltaire's day. Life expectancy in the early 1700s was about the mid-thirties. We can remain in good condition for many years longer than that now. I'm sure a lot of that is down to improved living conditions but I also think modern drugs/inoculations have played their part.

I find the trouble with quoted sages is that their quotes are still only one person's observation. The quotes can be thought wise by followers but they aren't necessarily a gospel truth.

Edit: typo
Here you go Mart, we're not actually living all that much longer, the average figure comes about because infant mortality was greater than today.....

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...rsus-longevity

Quote:

The life span of humans – opposed to life expectancy, which is a statistical construct – hasn’t really changed much at all – Walter Scheidel

Life expectancy is an average. If you have two children, and one dies before their first birthday but the other lives to the age of 70, their average life expectancy is 35.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
We will never be free of disease. Hygiene antibiotics and vaccines mean that a lot of us get to develop other conditions because we didn't die young. Death and taxes etc.
And I dare say the covid vaccine might enter into the realms of one of the worlds greatest saviours, but I'll wait and see what happens when it comes out of it's experimental period in 2023 Annie.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 09:04 PM

Here you go Mart, we're not actually living all that much longer, the average figure comes about because infant mortality was greater than today.....

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...rsus-longevity

Quote:

The life span of humans – opposed to life expectancy, which is a statistical construct – hasn’t really changed much at all – Walter Scheidel

Life expectancy is an average. If you have two children, and one dies before their first birthday but the other lives to the age of 70, their average life expectancy is 35.
I think Voltaire himself helped to offset the infant mortality rate. When he turned 84, the average life expectancy figure probably shot up by a year.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 10:01 PM

Doctors put drugs of which they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.

Voltaire

My thoughts, you can run but you can’t hide, when it’s time, it’s time, I sincerely hope you don’t catch this coronavirus disease, it’s lethal and has left people dead and families devastated....the whole world is in shock of its power and devastation that it leaves behind......aren’t there more variants as well?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

08-06-2021, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
My thoughts, you can run but you can’t hide, when it’s time, it’s time, I sincerely hope you don’t catch this coronavirus disease, it’s lethal and has left people dead and families devastated....the whole world is in shock of its power and devastation that it leaves behind......aren’t there more variants as well?
There are millions of things that will kill you pauline, and there's no vaccine for most of them. All you can do is to duck and dive and hope they don't come your way...

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top