Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 10:33 AM

I have noticed

I have noticed on forums and other social media that abbreviating usernames is very common. So, for example, Lion Queen becomes LQ, Pixie Knuckles is often PK, Longdogs is LD and so on.

I hope no one does this with my username

Are there any others out there that could be a bit iffy, or even offensive, if abbreviated in this way?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 10:51 AM

Re: I have noticed

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
I have noticed on forums and other social media that abbreviating usernames is very common. So, for example, Lion Queen becomes LQ, Pixie Knuckles is often PK, Longdogs is LD and so on.

I hope no one does this with my username

Are there any others out there that could be a bit iffy, or even offensive, if abbreviated in this way?
It doesn't bother me but secretly I wish they would address me as the Queen that I am

I have to admit, I called you Sheba the other day, I hope I didn't offend you as offend is not something I would intentionally do. I kinda like the ring of Sheba hence me saying it.

By the way, you are no bull chitter
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 10:54 AM

I’m happy with Rip or Rips, I am Rips on another site after having a doppelganger stealing my Ripple
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
It doesn't bother me but secretly I wish they would address me as the Queen that I am

I have to admit, I called you Sheba the other day, I hope I didn't offend you as offend is not something I would intentionally do. I kinda like the ring of Sheba hence me saying it.

By the way, you are no bull chitter
No, of course it didn't offend me, don't worry on that score. It just made me giggle to imagine my name being abbreviated to BS, that's all. I'd never thought about it before, but it just occurred to me after seeing so many others reduced to two letters.

I rather like Sheba - and it does go rather well with Queen doesn't it?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 11:07 AM

I don't have that problem on here.

On some sites I'm Caroljoyce & it invariably gets shortened to CJ. I don't mind though.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK

11-06-2021, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Ripple ->
I’m happy with Rip or Rips, I am Rips on another site after having a doppelganger stealing my Ripple
It's disappointing when that happens, isn't it? It's also disappointing when someone joins a site, finds that you've got the name they wanted, and then chooses one that appears almost identical, so other users confuse the two members. I've seen lots of examples of this - two members on another site called Maggiemay and Maggiemaybe spring to mind. But Rips is different enough that you wouldn't be confused with the original Ripple.

I'm more inclined to use different usernames for different sites, because I may not necessarily want to be recognised across sites.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK

11-06-2021, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I don't have that problem on here.

On some sites I'm Caroljoyce & it invariably gets shortened to CJ. I don't mind though.
No, I have no problem at all with abbreviations. I was just amused at the thought of being called BS
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 11:15 AM

I tend to change the usernames to initials or use a shortened version. That’s because some have different spellings to the norm and you have to keep checking back to make sure you are spelling it correctly. Or sometimes, spellchecker changes it into something completely different.

I get called ‘Art’ and so does ‘The Artful Todger’.

So sometimes when l see a reply to a post and ‘Art’ is mentioned, l have to check which ‘Art’ they are referring to.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK

11-06-2021, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I get called ‘Art’ and so does ‘The Artful Todger’.

So sometimes when l see a reply to a post and ‘Art’ is mentioned, l have to check which ‘Art’ they are referring to.
Oh I hadn't thought of that possibility! I shall make sure I always refer to you as Angel from now on - I don't think that could be confused with anyone else
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
Oh I hadn't thought of that possibility! I shall make sure I always refer to you as Angel from now on - I don't think that could be confused with anyone else
No! I was ‘Art’ here first!! Stamps my foot and goes off to sob my heart out!!

You can call, ‘The Artful Todger’ .... ‘The’!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top