Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2020, 10:52 AM

Granma's War Time Orange Drop Cookies

Well, according to the recipe, these 'cookies' are soft and fluffy and bursting with orange. The smell when these are baking is really quite something. Obviously, this recipe must be American, certainly not British because oranges were only seen in pictures and magazines in this country along with bananas, during the two world wars.

I am going to have a go at this one because I have one orange and 4 satsumas (I think they are satsumas) in the fruit bowl, but I don't have Orange flavouring so will try Orange Squash undiluted for that ingredient instead.

On the other hand, I do have 5 lemons as well as lemon juice and essence to hand, so perhaps I could try Lemon drop cookies??
Problem is, would they be as sweet as Orange as they are meant to be. Dilemma. perhaps they would be okay as surely it's the honey that gives the sweetness?

Anyway, here is the recipe, complete with yummy pictures of them if anyone wishes to give them a try. Good Luck!

Grandmas-War-Time-Orange-Drop-Cookies.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Makes: 48 Cookies

Preheat Oven: 350F / 180C / 160 Fan / Gas Mark 4

INGREDIENTS

2 Tablespoons Orange Rind grated
½ Teaspoon Orange Flavouring (undiluted Orange Squash should suffice if you don't have orange flavouring).)
Juice of half an Orange
170g Butter, softened
425g Honey
1 Egg, beaten
310g Plain Flour sifted
3 teaspoons Baking Powder
¼ Teaspoons Salt

STEP 1.
Place some greaseproof or parchment paper over a flat oven baking tray.

STEP 2
In a mixing bowl, mix together the butter and honey.

STEP 3
Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt, then add this to the honey mixture. Fold in the beaten egg, grated orange rind orange juice and orange flavouring.

STEP 4.
Place the bowl in the fridge for 30 minutes. Have a cuppa!

STEP 5.
Drop the batter in teaspoonfuls and bake for about 8-10 minutes.

STEP 6.
When done, leave on baking tray for 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack until cool.

Enjoy, Don’t eat them all at once!

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	orange 1.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	12198   Click image for larger version

Name:	orange 11.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	12203   Click image for larger version

Name:	orange 12.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	12204   Click image for larger version

Name:	orange 10.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	12205   Click image for larger version

Name:	orange 9.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	12206  

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2020, 07:29 AM

Re: Granma's War Time Orange Drop Cookies

Those sound delicious - am going to Sainsbury's later - if they have any flour available I might have a try!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top