Join for free
Page 5 of 16 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 09:52 AM

Re: Abolition of Cash

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
You just deduct the amount you spend (keep the receipt) from the the amount you have in the bank.

It is actually really easy maths.

Yes I know how to work it out thanks Bruce, I'm not that bad.
It's just I find it easier to actually see my money before I hand it over. Too old fashioned I guess.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
It's just I find it easier to actually see my money before I hand it over. Too old fashioned I guess.
You answered too quickly I hadn't finished
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 09:58 AM

You answered too quickly I hadn't finished

I must be on the ball this morning, Bruce.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 10:47 AM

Morning Mups.....
I don't have a smartphone, and, so I don't have to keep going online to see my account, I run one on microsoft excel. Whenever I spend anything I just enter it onto my account when I get home, and get a running balance. Every so often I go online and make sure the bank and me are singing from the same songsheet Mups....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

03-07-2020, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Morning Mups.....
I don't have a smartphone, and, so I don't have to keep going online to see my account, I run one on microsoft excel. Whenever I spend anything I just enter it onto my account when I get home, and get a running balance. Every so often I go online and make sure the bank and me are singing from the same songsheet Mups....

Morning Foxy. Yes I keep receipts and write it in a little 'accounts' book when I get home too.

It's just with cash, if I haven't got enough on me, I don't treat myself or buy extras, but with my card I find it all too easy to buy it after all.
I probably just need more will power.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 11:32 AM

Morning Foxy. Yes I keep receipts and write it in a little 'accounts' book when I get home too.

It's just with cash, if I haven't got enough on me, I don't treat myself or buy extras, but with my card I find it all too easy to buy it after all.
I probably just need more will power.
I know what you mean Mups. I used to like getting my wages in a little brown envelope and when it was gone, it was gone....Until next week...

Cards are fine but they lure you into a false sense of security because it's so easy to pay for stuff. The difference between then and now is; Then, there was hardly any credit. It was possible to take out hire purchase, but it was always more expensive and was usually reserved for the necessities of life, plus you could get money knocked off for cash......

These days, most people live on credit, companies would prefer you use credit to buy things, they get a bonus off the credit company for using them. The price of most items now is usually expressed as 'Interest free credit' and you have to struggle to see what the full price would be. We are being pushed into a world of spending money we don't have. 'Buy Now and Pay Later' very attractive for some, but they will never be out of debt.

Of course, the biggest winner of all are the banks....Once upon a time you only saved money in a bank, but with the introduction of the 'Current Account' they are making money hand over fist. They employ thousands of people compared to yesterday; most of which are in security because most of the admin is taken care of automatically by computer. Hence the reason why it's almost impossible to talk to a person anymore.

By switching from cash to card we have created an unstoppable global industry like a snowball gathering momentum as it rolls down a hill. An industry which is cold, unforgiving and heartless, contrary to the soft, fluffy, helpful, family orientated institutions we see in the adverts, with scenes of horses and little girls running along sandy beaches. But the truth is; They are not your friends, they are global, and only notice you when you owe them money...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I know what you mean Mups. I used to like getting my wages in a little brown envelope and when it was gone, it was gone....Until next week...

Cards are fine but they lure you into a false sense of security because it's so easy to pay for stuff. The difference between then and now is; Then, there was hardly any credit. It was possible to take out hire purchase, but it was always more expensive and was usually reserved for the necessities of life, plus you could get money knocked off for cash......
Use a debit card. No need for credit at all.

As for hire purchase? never used it however I have used layby especially when the kids were little, costs absolutely nothing and you get the goods when they are paid off. These days I don't need such services, I have the money in the bank.

But you are right about money off for cash I always ask a tradesman after getting a quote if he gives a discount for cash.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 12:51 PM

Discount for cash. I still do that, when the opportunity arises. But the deals that where this can be done now are getting rare.
Just a thought. When you see at times on the TV or papers, where drug busts have been made. At times they show mountains of cash. So I don’t suppose the dealers take cards. Or do they?
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 03:03 PM

I've never used an ATM don't laugh, but I'm scared to use it ...when I go shopping ( before lockdown )..I always got cashback when I was paying by debit card.....I'm also scared to use online banking....
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 03:11 PM

Cash was dying but Covid19 has just about finished it off. Even those rare places like family run restaurants that used to have (say) "Min $20 purchase" for a card have ripped them up.

Years ago I used to go to the hole in the wall several times a week but now I go less than once a month.

Funny thing is I have just under £800 in notes left over from a trip some years ago to the UK but because of the shut down of all overseas travel absolutely no one will change them to real money.
I'll PM you my mailing address Bruce, you can send me the £800 and I'll spend it for you

Page 5 of 16 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top