Join for free
Page 29 of 33 « First < 19 27 28 29 30 31 > Last »
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 01:08 PM

Re: Seen A Scam? Warn us if you have!

Someone I know was telling me the other day that she got a call on her mobile, which appeared to be from her brother, so she answered it, and it wasn't him at all, it was a recorded HRMC message. I'm fairly sure someone else on here mentioned this happening a while ago but I can't find the post now. Its scary how they (scammers) seem to make the call look like someone on their contacts list
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I've totally given up my landline now, it's now been attached to an answering machine so I never answer it personally. A recorded message asks that a message is left and that anyone who knows me already has my mobile number so to phone me on that. I need to have a landline for the broadband or I would just disconnect it. The scammers can have it and chat as long as they like, I am not interested.

Although I am now getting scam calls on my mobile, these calls are instantly terminated and the number blocked. These on the mobile only started after giving that number to a windscreen repair company, after I had a screen on the car cracked, obviously the number was sold on.

It used to be fun to lead the scammers on when they phoned the landline, especially the 'computer scammers'. I make them believe I am taking the bait and appear interested, they mention they work for big companies like BT who they do work for on Microsoft and Windows and that they can fix the problem for me etc., etc. all the usual spiel. Then I ask which of my computers is the problem, no response, then I tell them I use only Apple Macs so which one is it? Instantly the call is ended!

Yes, they're very easy to recognise and, for that reason, they seem to prey on the most easily fooled: old people who know little or nothing about computers for example - like my mother-in-law.
Actually, having said that, they're lucky to get anywhere with her as she's as deaf as a post and strings them along without even being aware that she's doing it!

For example: "Which is the 'any' key?"
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 02:27 PM

I received 6 calls to my mobile on Thursday each from a different mobile number - I blocked each one without answering but still they came! I received two yesterday but none today so far. If I don't recognise a number I always block it without answering.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 02:33 PM

last year I had a call from a friend, now we never phone one another, the only contact we have is a xmas card each year, but she phoned and asked if I had called her, which I hadn't, she told me that when she answered her phone my name and number came up , but the caller said he was from BT, and that he could get her a better deal, she hung up...sounded like a scam, but how did my name and number appear on her screen
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Yes, they're very easy to recognise and, for that reason, they seem to prey on the most easily fooled: old people who know little or nothing about computers for example - like my mother-in-law.
Actually, having said that, they're lucky to get anywhere with her as she's as deaf as a post and strings them along without even being aware that she's doing it!

For example: "Which is the 'any' key?"
I like her and I don't even know her...
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by paula ->
last year I had a call from a friend, now we never phone one another, the only contact we have is a xmas card each year, but she phoned and asked if I had called her, which I hadn't, she told me that when she answered her phone my name and number came up , but the caller said he was from BT, and that he could get her a better deal, she hung up...sounded like a scam, but how did my name and number appear on her screen
I could be wrong, Paula, but i have heard that, if the scammer puts someone else's name & number in the "Reply to" part of his email, that's what comes up on the receiving screen as the sender of the scam email.

Someone may correct me on that?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Amazing! How did they know?

Perhaps the engineer's running a 'sideline'!
That didn't occur to me...I thought maybe thier system was hacked? Anyway they sorted me out and they know someone rang me so its up to them now....no-one has enquired any further though so I doubt they are taking it seriously.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 05:35 PM

Census Scam

I have just had a text message about "missing information" on my census application and failure to update will result in a £1000 fine. Please visit *incorrect website cited for gov.uk*

Fair enough, so its taken them 10 years to discover it. And they got the website wrong. I checked on the Scottish government website and there is actually a section about this kind of scam. Our census isn't until next year, but given that England have recently completed theirs, I thought I would give a heads up in case anyone gets this same message.

https://www.scotlandscensus.gov.uk/n...us-scam-alert/
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2021, 07:21 PM

Scam emails are being sent impersonating the NHS, regarding applying for a Digital Passport. The link takes you to a fake NHS website that asks for payment details.
Vaccination status is obtained FREE through the NHS App or website - This is the correct link to use -

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/demonstr...ovid-19-status
paula
scotland

22-06-2021, 07:39 PM

They'll try anything to part us from our money..

Page 29 of 33 « First < 19 27 28 29 30 31 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top