Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2020, 01:19 PM

Japanese Car Syndrome - You Won't Remember!

I first saw a Jap car, alongside my old banger, when I had only one dial in the dashboard and the Jap car Dashboard was lit up like a magic roundabout.

The Term JCS came into common use, not long after, as many people seemed to want to point out how wonderful their car was compared with mine.

Somebody tell us what years that would have been?

More recently, it's the GCS, and those Japanse vehicles seem to have dwindled away.

Soon, it could be the German cars which dwindle in number.

Let's have a UKCS!

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2020, 01:28 PM

Re: Japanese Car Syndrome - You Won't Remember!

Are there any UK cars left now? I can remember lusting after the first generation Honda Accord with it's large sunroof and cream leather interior. Foreign cars always gave so much more the money compared to Fords where you were lucky to get door cards.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2020, 01:35 PM

First one I encountered was a Datsun 100 (I think!) after a colleague bought it. It had everything - and I hated it. Short on room, especially leg room, and no bolt on goodies that could be easily bought. The engine rev'd too fast (I thought) it was quiet, it didn't drop oil as all even new cars should, and didn't need a frequent service. They'll never catch on.

Same with their motorbikes.

I thought at the time ---
DaveA
Massachusetts, US
DaveA is male  DaveA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2020, 06:53 PM

I think that a lot of us thought that the early Japanese cars were sh**boxes, and some were.
Didn't take them too many years to catch up and pass our cars here in the US, especially in terms of reliability. My last two cars have been top of the line Honda Accords and I've truly enjoyed them both.

My grandson is using the older of the two with 240,000+ miles on it.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2020, 07:18 PM

They're just global names, aren't they? Parts from different corners of the globe, assembled in the most unlikely of places.

The only Japanese car I ever had was nice, made in Sunderland.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2020, 07:32 PM

Well I'm in the process of buying a new car but it won't be a Japanese vehicle as a matter of principle.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2020, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Are there any UK cars left now?
Aston Martin.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2020, 09:27 PM

Japs, early 70s, Datsun Cherry, bit like a clam, very claustrophobic if I remember right.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2020, 10:07 PM

I remember when I lived at home, the guy next door swore he would never buy a Japanese car, but after problems with his Austin rover s**box, he bought a datsun, found out years later he was a pow in a Japanese camp, which probably explains why he used to chase his wife round the garden with an axe..!!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2020, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Aston Martin.
Hi

Aston Martin are not British owned and have not been for some years.

They use Mercedes engines.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top