Join for free
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2021, 07:44 PM

World War II

Not sure if this is the right place for this - but here goes.

I am woefully ignorant about WWII - it was never covered in history lessons at school so most of my knowledge comes second hand via Hollywood and we all know the americans won! Obviously I knew we were fighting Germans but did not know the background.

However - today I have been given a boxed set of 8 x DVDs - a mixture of documentary and archive newsreel footage - which I am looking forward to watching. Subjects covered are :-

The rise of the Nazis.
German assaults on Denmark, Norway and France
The Battle of Britain
The Battle of Russia
Prelude to War
War comes to America
Fury in the Pacific
Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Each DVD runs for about 1 x hour - probably not something to watch back to back - but I hope to learn a lot from them.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2021, 09:07 PM

Re: World War II

I think that it is necessary to go back to the start of the 20th century European history before jumping into WW2. I'm of the opinion that what kicked off in Europe wasn't WW2,. It was actually WW1 part two. Also that it was the shocking betrayal surrounding the Versailles Treaty that resulted in the inevitability of the collapse of the Weimar Republic and the emergence of the Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei aka the Nazi party - and the tale goes on.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2021, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I think that it is necessary to go back to the start of the 20th century European history before jumping into WW2. I'm of the opinion that what kicked off in Europe wasn't WW2,. It was actually WW1 part two. Also that it was the shocking betrayal surrounding the Versailles Treaty that resulted in the inevitability of the collapse of the Weimar Republic and the emergence of the Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei aka the Nazi party - and the tale goes on.
Thank you, AT, will do some research.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2021, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Nobody likes a show off, Todger..
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2021, 10:25 PM

You can unwind history or rewind it, either way, if you weren't there at the time, you will be none the wiser.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2021, 10:39 PM

Being there at the time doesn't mean you know what's going on though.I'm sure a lot of Germans were unaware of what was really happening to the Jews.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2021, 10:45 PM

True, but opinions were based on perceived truths, not lines of text, which is fake, being close or retrospective reporting?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

07-04-2021, 10:46 PM

That is a generalised comment BTW.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2021, 11:14 PM

Have you ever heard the expression 'The Airfix Generation'?
We are the Baby Boomer boys who spent the 1950s & 60s on a diet of Commando comics, plastic model kits, and war films

I include myself in that
Who knows why or how you become interested in any particular subject, but I'm fairly interested in WW2 and things military & warlike in general

If you want to know about any aspect of WW2 or other wars, just Search on YouTube
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2021, 12:07 AM

Apart from the varying suggestions offered above, I would recommend "The World At War" My son recently bought a restored version of the 1974?..3?..Original production. It is an awesome account of the whole war from the early 1930s to the aftermath. The coverage of the Normandy Invasion is particularly good. It is not meant to be a dry, scholarly thing. Very easy to absorb. No nonsense story telling with just the appropriate level of drama. It is narrated by Sir Lawrence Olivier. All original war footage with sound added later. Very convincing. IT's a box set. Not cheap but worth having. My father was a Bren gunner with the AIF at El Alamein. He saw this doc before he died in 1984. He said it was very historically accurate.

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top