Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 11:22 PM

Re: unconditional love

That's evolution for you!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
We often hear it said that a mothers love is unconditional. I've even said it myself without really deeply thinking about it until I read something the other day.

A woman had 4 boys and she is is a grandma many times over, she played a huge part in her grandchildrens life and close to all here boys and their wives. However one of her grandchildren has accused one of the boys of sexual abuse when she was very young, she's now 16 years old. This has devastated the grandma but she said her love for her boy is unconditional and she will not turn her back on him.

So it got me thinking, as this has never happened to me or even anyone I know I cannot say if I would, could, wouldn't, couldn't turn my back on my boy.

Should we love unconditionally even if we know our children has done something really serious like child abuse, murder or anything as horrific.

I felt so sorry for that woman, the turmoil she must have been in. The rest of the family disowned her because she wouldn't disown her son. How awful is that, sounds like a living nightmare doesn't it.

He went to prison and she goes to see him. What a horrible situation to be in.

Anyway where do we draw the line or is the love for our children REALLY unconditional.

I do know I would think that my child needed to be punished if he or she had done something dreadful and I like to think I wouldn't turn my back on my son but I honestly don't know what I'd do.
He is still her child and she will always love him how can she not?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 01:04 AM

My love for my son is 100% unconditional. If there was such a thing as 1000% then it would be that too. If you put any "buts" on that and say "there is a limit"..well it's not unconditional is it. That's not to say your acceptance of their behaviour is unconditional.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 04:30 AM

My love for my kids has never been tested so its a difficult question to answer I think we would all say its unconditional love and we would stand by our kids whatever. I can accept that there is a difference between liking and loving though for instance in the example you gave LQ how could we not loathe what the son did? and surely that impacts on feelings too. If your tolerance level is tested regularly I can understand why some parents step back... I suppose thats self preservation.
bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

15-05-2021, 08:35 AM

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. well that's pretty unconditional wouldn't ya say and then going back to the 'chosen ones' the Jews - they repeatedly turned away from God worshipped foreign idols etc but he hung in there for them and looks where it's got them? Maybe that's why they are still there cos it's unconditional?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
We often hear it said that a mothers love is unconditional. I've even said it myself without really deeply thinking about it until I read something the other day.

A woman had 4 boys and she is is a grandma many times over, she played a huge part in her grandchildrens life and close to all here boys and their wives. However one of her grandchildren has accused one of the boys of sexual abuse when she was very young, she's now 16 years old. This has devastated the grandma but she said her love for her boy is unconditional and she will not turn her back on him.

So it got me thinking, as this has never happened to me or even anyone I know I cannot say if I would, could, wouldn't, couldn't turn my back on my boy.

Should we love unconditionally even if we know our children has done something really serious like child abuse, murder or anything as horrific.

I felt so sorry for that woman, the turmoil she must have been in. The rest of the family disowned her because she wouldn't disown her son. How awful is that, sounds like a living nightmare doesn't it.

He went to prison and she goes to see him. What a horrible situation to be in.

Anyway where do we draw the line or is the love for our children REALLY unconditional.

I do know I would think that my child needed to be punished if he or she had done something dreadful and I like to think I wouldn't turn my back on my son but I honestly don't know what I'd do.

I am estranged from my two eldest sons, they hate me, for private reasons, of course I still Love my boys, I gave birth to them, if they came to me, I would welcome them with open arms.

Which I have tried to do in the past, but, they don’t want anything to do with me, I can’t force myself onto them.

Unfortunately they don’t know or understand the truth of the matter, Hopefully as they mature, they may come to know the truth....until then, I live in hope, it may never happen...but as a mother I know I must respect and accept that they don’t want me in their life....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by bret ->
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. well that's pretty unconditional wouldn't ya say and then going back to the 'chosen ones' the Jews - they repeatedly turned away from God worshipped foreign idols etc but he hung in there for them and looks where it's got them? Maybe that's why they are still there cos it's unconditional?
What "foreign idols" would that be?

The only recorded case was Exodus 32:4 (the golden calf) and that resulted in a forty years schlep in the desert to clean up their act.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 10:02 AM

I love my two adult kids unconditionally but I dont always like them
bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

15-05-2021, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
What "foreign idols" would that be?

The only recorded case was Exodus 32:4 (the golden calf) and that resulted in a forty years schlep in the desert to clean up their act.

http://https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/idolatry

homework 101

Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 01:34 PM

What have you been smoking? Idolatry is very antithesis of ALL sects and branches of Judaism!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top