Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2021, 12:13 PM

Covid: Investigation into 'Yorkshire' variant

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-57199475

Health officials are investigating a new Covid variant which has caused 49 cases of infection, mostly in Yorkshire and the Humber region.

Public Health England (PHE) has been monitoring the VUI-21MAY-01 variant since April. PHE said there was "currently no evidence that this variant causes more severe disease or renders the vaccines currently deployed any less effective". The agency said additional testing and tracing was being carried out.

The variant is one of a number "based on an unusual mutation profile", PHE said in an online update issued on Thursday. It added: "PHE is carrying out increased laboratory testing to better understand the impact of the mutations on the behaviour of the virus.

"All appropriate public health interventions are being undertaken, including additional contact tracing and targeted testing. Where cases have been identified, additional follow-up of cases, testing of contacts and targeted case finding will limit the spread of variants."

PHE said it would provide more information on the variant in a report later on Friday.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2021, 03:28 PM

Re: Covid: Investigation into 'Yorkshire' variant

People suffering from this variation are easily identifiable: they go around wearing flat caps and sing "On Ilkley Moor Baht 'At"

Sorry, I'll get my coat.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2021, 05:32 PM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-57199475

Update:

Dr Matthew Parker from the University of Sheffield is one of the scientists who first identified the variant. He said it was a mutation of the variant B11482 which was first spotted in other countries last year and it was not possible to say how it had arrived in Yorkshire.

"It's just that we happened to notice some sequences in South Yorkshire and the rest of the UK recently. It might not have arisen in the UK, we don't know that yet."
A "variant under investigation" is one that acquires mutations that give it the potential to spread more easily, cause more severe disease or evade immunity from vaccines or previous infection. This new variant - one of eight under investigation - will now be monitored to see how it spreads and analysed in the laboratory. It would only be designated a "variant of concern" - like forms of the virus first detected in Kent, India and South Africa - if scientists conclude it does pose a heightened threat. The origin of this variant - also known as AV.1 - is unclear. There have also been cases detected in Greece and Chad.

New variants are a story that we will all become very familiar with in the years to come. Most will have little effect in the UK if the vaccination campaign continues to be a success. But it will be important to keep monitoring them in case one emerges that means the Covid vaccines need to be updated.
No need to panic in Sheffield ..... yet .....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2021, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
People suffering from this variation are easily identifiable: they go around wearing flat caps and sing "On Ilkley Moor Baht 'At"

Sorry, I'll get my coat.
@percy...
...ee bah gum I will get mine and follow you ....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

28-05-2021, 11:41 AM

Cases of Yorkshire coronavirus variant double as scientists discover 25 mutations

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...ouble-24192116

Public Health England scientists have found the strain has 25 mutations, 10 of which are in the spike protein. As in the Indian variant, these natural alterations make the strain more infectious and render the vaccine less effective.

PHE has been monitoring the variant since April and has classed it one step below the Indian strain, which is a Variant of Concern. The number of cases has now doubled to 99, according to data from the Covid-19 Genomics UK Consortium.

Simon Clarke, an associate professor in cellular microbiology, University of Reading, said the mutations suggestions the variant had some kind of advantage, but the effects of most of them were currently "unknown".
So, at the moment, a variant of "interest" rather than "concern" ......
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2021, 11:55 PM

what will happen when everyone is vaccinated , will things get back to normal or will we still be wearing facemasks, and staying 2 metres apart...and will the government still be dithering about closing our borders if another variant is found
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2021, 12:12 AM

They have been joking these variants are like a deliveroo menu. There's a Thai variant too.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2021, 09:40 AM

Sorry, I'll get my coat.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2021, 09:46 AM

Sorry, I'll get my coat.
Where 'as t' bin sin i saw thee?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2021, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
@percy...
...ee bah gum I will get mine and follow you ....
"Hear all, see all, and say nowt"

Watch for symptoms:

- Gripping the wallet more tightly

- Difficulty in ungrasping fingers.

- Coughing with hand held out.

Yes, I was brought up there!

Tha Knows!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top