Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2021, 09:07 AM

E- Consult forever?

I spoke to the nurse at our surgery & asked her when the online appointment booking system was coming back.

I think that was the best thing ever - to just get on your computer & book to see a doctor within a couple of days.

However - this apparently takes up too much of their time now, dealing with patients who could otherwise be dealt with on the phone.

The online appointment system will not be coming back.

E-consult is the way forward.

They give you something good & then take it away. Things are getting frighteningly worse!!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2021, 09:22 AM

Re: E- Consult forever?

Gosh Carol, things are not looking good with regard to doctors are they? I really dislike how impersonal it has all become with everything being done on the phone. Mr P had a podiatry appointment the other day - it was a phone consultation based on photos , but he couldn't take the call as it came in while he was already on the phone to the doctor about other medication. So now he has to rebook and wait a a few months again
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2021, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Gosh Carol, things are not looking good with regard to doctors are they? I really dislike how impersonal it has all become with everything being done on the phone. Mr P had a podiatry appointment the other day - it was a phone consultation based on photos , but he couldn't take the call as it came in while he was already on the phone to the doctor about other medication. So now he has to rebook and wait a a few months again
Yes, this will always be a major problem, because at least with the old system, we got an appointment at a specific time. Now all we get told is 'the doctor will ring you on (insert day)'. They can't seem to be able to offer a narrower window, say 'between 12.00 and 2.00'. Why not? They always used to follow an appointment system when we visited the surgery - why can't the same be applied to telephone calls? How on earth are we expected to co-ordinate that with any other calls or events?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2021, 09:38 AM

There are ever more patients and ever fewer doctors in this world so yes, the systems are changing for the worse, and we will have to accept that I'm afraid until we can change the basics of the problem. So, if you have any ideas...
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2021, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
There are ever more patients and ever fewer doctors in this world so yes, the systems are changing for the worse, and we will have to accept that I'm afraid until we can change the basics of the problem. So, if you have any ideas...
Oh I'm sure the problem will resolve itself once the mistakes start happening and people lose their lives due to harassed medical staff who haven't been trained in the multiple duties they need to perform. One of which will be "How to teach a patient online/over the phone, to perform self surgery for XYZ ailment.......
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2021, 09:46 AM

I'm out of step because I like the telephone appointment system having said that I can appreciate that people with serious conditions might feel less cared for but surely for minor things like colds etc we don't always have to see a doctor in person. I had a telephone appointment the other day and they requested I went in....I was a put out wishing they could just deal with in on the phone....they can't please everyone can they
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2021, 10:11 AM

Step by Step we are approaching an age where there will be no local Doctor Practices.

There will be an on-line help desk, somewhere in the world where staffing is cheap (I think mine is already there as speaking English seems to be a problem)

Once the help desk has asked (possibly by an "automatron") half a dozen questions, you'll be patched through to another Centre.

Doctors will be safely out of touch with all patients - but, probably, still getting full pay- from Private appointments, for which, oddly, they will not have to be safety screened.

Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2021, 10:38 AM

I think the problem is that we all turned to the doctors for many less serious ailments, before we relied on the the pharmacy products...... hence too many unnecessary appointments!

I am not sure the phone appointments make less work for doctors, because I have had several calls from my doctors late as 8.30 pm and I know the nurses at my practice are still doing face to face appointments to dress wounds and advise on how to help them heal better.

I have always thought that first aid should be taught in school & we should be tested on our knowledge. If we continue to go to doctors for every ache and pain, we have nobody to blame but ourselves when the NHS services become less satisfying.
A GP's job is to prescribe medicines, offer advice or refer you to a consultant if they think you need expert advice.
Covid isn't the only reason our health service is not as good, it is too many people wanting best health care, for too little money. Oh and maybe too many well paid consultants who prefer to keep the wealthy in good health because it pays more for less hours!
Our generation have had great care from the NHS, but I feel that making the public do more to help themselves, by education & internet advice ( that is strictly based on fact) is the only way future generations will receive the same good care
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2021, 01:01 PM

I asked about the online booking system and was told as Twink says some people were booking unnecessarily thereby denying appointments to those who really needed them.
Also at my practice, dedicated clinics for diabetics, asthmatics, etc could be booked and that has gone too because those who were not eligible were booking

Having seen the 'performance' of some patients outside the surgery since C19 when faced with a simple set of instruction on a board that even I could follow, I am not surprised they had problems with booking system
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2021, 10:38 PM

E consult works well for young people. E consult is not a telephone appointment. GP surgeries who think telephone calls will replace seeing the patient either in practices or virtually need to think again. Particularly as they are still being paid to see people in person.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top