Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 03:38 PM

Update Errors, or other weird happenings?

When you seem to get more crashes, more error messages, more weird update failures, or anything strange, don't Forget to Check your Memory (RAM, I mean, not your brain).

For some reason MS have placed their built in Memory checker in a quite difficult to find place in W10.

It's well worth knowing if your memory is playing tricks (in the PC).

Once every couple of months, or more often if you have problems it's worth a quick look.

Start at the bottom left of your screen & click on the magnifying class - type in Control Panel.

Then "Administrative Tools"

Then "Windows Memory Diagnostic"

It should then ask if you want to "run now" or next time you shut down.

Click "run now" and the PC will restart and run the very good memory diagnostic - takes a few minutes.

Then you are either good to go or need to do what it suggests.

The suggested actions, above, may be slightly different depending on your PC level.

Note:-

If you do decide to swap out the memory, or touch it for any other reason, please remember that RAM might be very susceptible to static & can easily be damaged - ground yourself well!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 06:48 PM

Re: Update Errors, or other weird happenings?

Haven't got W 10 I am still on W 7.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Haven't got W 10 I am still on W 7.
How do you get away with that, Tiff? I read that Windows automatically updated to Windows 10, and you couldn't go back. I preferred W7 to this.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
How do you get away with that, Tiff? I read that Windows automatically updated to Windows 10, and you couldn't go back. I preferred W7 to this.
At the time it kept asking me to up load W10, but each time I clicked no & it gave up in the end. My puter expert said you don't have to have it if you don't want too. But, if I have to get a new tower, it will be 10 as 7 is no longer available, of course there might be a different one by then too.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2021, 04:15 PM

At the time it kept asking me to up load W10, but each time I clicked no & it gave up in the end. My puter expert said you don't have to have it if you don't want too. But, if I have to get a new tower, it will be 10 as 7 is no longer available, of course there might be a different one by then too.
If and when I need a new 'puter, I'll be having the latest flavour of Linux installed rather than Windows.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2021, 06:11 PM

Good for you in refusing! And yes, hopefully in the future W10 might be replaced by something better

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
If and when I need a new 'puter, I'll be having the latest flavour of Linux installed rather than Windows.
I quite fancy Linux - heard good things about it, but there aren't many apps available for it last time I read up on it. I could be wrong now of course, it was a wee while ago
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2021, 07:14 PM

You can get a brand spanking new lappy, all singing/dancing W10, shite of shovel, configured to look just like W7, for about £300.

Keep the W7 machine for back up.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2021, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I'd love to ditch Windows and move lock, stock and barrel on to Linux.

Unfortunately, I have two programmes: Photoshop Elements and TurboCAD, which both require Windows OS and will not run under Linux.

Yes, I know there are other options, but I've become quite familiar with how to use these two and wouldn't want to have to learn something completely different.

Also, all the work I have already done I should no longer be able to access.

Anyway, as long as I can continue to avoid Windows Updates, this thing works perfectly well as it is.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2021, 07:31 PM

I've thought about Android home computing, but there nothing wrong with windows. People like to moan but I've never had a problem.

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Anyway, as long as I can continue to avoid Windows Updates, this thing works perfectly well as it is.
Avoiding updates in futile. Embrace it man.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

26-05-2021, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
You can get a brand spanking new lappy, all singing/dancing W10, shite of shovel, configured to look just like W7, for about £300.

Keep the W7 machine for back up.
I hope it sees me out & I don't have to change.

I have an ipad but rarely use it. Think that is 10.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top