Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 07:19 PM

Re: NHS records will be shared

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Can you explain why not? I think its an outrage - even family don't get told what's going on with someone they are close to, so why should some weirdo get to know? And by weirdo, I mean "data analyst" who inadvertently lets some info go to the highest bidder!

I feel much the same as you, Pixie.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
My GP surgery warned this was going to happen - about two years ago - and gave all their patients the choice of opting out - which I did.

My surgery still has never said a word.
Typical.

I have now opted out too.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 07:33 PM

OK. Tell me. Just what is the problem that people have with this because I really can not see one.

It's not as if names and addresses are going to be passed over as part of the data, it's going to be used to identify association between diseases and illnesses. It's not as if it could be of ANY use to allow scammers to get access to anyone, it could and probably will identify relationships between diseases such as back in the day when the relation between cow pod and smallpox resulted in the production of smallpox vaccine.

So I ask again. Where's the problem?

Or is it just another "dog in a manger" sorta thing?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
OK. Tell me. Just what is the problem that people have with this because I really can not see one.

It's not as if names and addresses are going to be passed over as part of the data, it's going to be used to identify association between diseases and illnesses. It's not as if it could be of ANY use to allow scammers to get access to anyone, it could and probably will identify relationships between diseases such as back in the day when the relation between cow pod and smallpox resulted in the production of smallpox vaccine.

So I ask again. Where's the problem?

Or is it just another "dog in a manger" sorta thing?
The problem as I see it, is that personal information concerning potential intimate matters of health, which should only be between yourself and your doctor, are being made available to strangers. You say that no names or addresses are made available - how do you know that certain identifying criteria are not part of the data? You don't. So say for example...a 68 year old male living in "XYZ" postcode suffers from HIV, and requires certain medication. From that, it would be pretty easy to identify someone if it got into the public.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

08-06-2021, 08:40 PM

I agree with Pixie on this, Todger.
I do not want a personal and private conversation with my doctor being nosed into by God knows how many other people who I don't know from Adam.
Its not a lot different to telling someone you trust something very personal, only to find out later that he/she had sold that chat to the local papers behind your back!

I also would not be the slightest bit surprised if we are only being told half of whats really going on anyway, and if you haven't opted out in time, you will have no choice but to let others do whatever they want with your personal details, whenever they choose to
You may not have anything to be concerned about at this stage, but you don't know what the future might hold, and it will be too late to stop it then.
I bet money is involved somewhere along the line.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 09:30 PM

The problem as I see it, is that personal information concerning potential intimate matters of health, which should only be between yourself and your doctor, are being made available to strangers. You say that no names or addresses are made available - how do you know that certain identifying criteria are not part of the data? You don't. So say for example...a 68 year old male living in "XYZ" postcode suffers from HIV, and requires certain medication. From that, it would be pretty easy to identify someone if it got into the public.
I don't think so. In any case a price well worth paying if it went towards a better treatment AND in any case such a person could opt out if they were a bit embarrassed about their past!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 09:36 PM

I don't like the idea either, I've opted out.

It's the invasion of privacy in some areas I don't like, we are losing enough of our rights as it is.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I don't think so. In any case a price well worth paying if it went towards a better treatment AND in any case such a person could opt out if they were a bit embarrassed about their past!
There's a time limit for opting out though isn't there? So you haven't done it before September (as it is now), you are buggered. And, as Mups said...you might be ok now, but if you decide some time in the future you don't want your stuff shared, too bad.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

08-06-2021, 11:52 PM

There's a time limit for opting out though isn't there? So you haven't done it before September (as it is now), you are buggered. And, as Mups said...you might be ok now, but if you decide some time in the future you don't want your stuff shared, too bad.

It was June 23rd, but I have a feeling it might have been extended?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2021, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
It was June 23rd, but I have a feeling it might have been extended?
Been moved to September, Mups, for unspecified "Legal reasons"!

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top