Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2021, 02:23 PM

Conservatives fined £10,000 for sending unwanted emails

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57343076

The Conservatives have been fined £10,000 by the data watchdog for sending marketing emails to 51 people who did not want to receive them.

The messages were sent in the name of Boris Johnson in the eight days after he became prime minister in July 2019.

The party was also criticised by the Information Commissioner for a mailshot in December 2019 after concerns had been raised.

It is against the law to send direct marketing emails, unless the recipient has given their consent.

Between 24 July and 31 July 2019, the Conservatives sent out more than a million marketing emails.

The ICO said some of the emails were "validly sent" but the party did not have the necessary consent from 51 of the recipients.

Later that year, during the 2019 December general election, the Conservatives also sent out nearly 23 million emails - something the ICO says resulted in a further 95 complaints.

Stephen Eckersley - director of investigations at the ICO - said: "It's really concerning that such large scale processing occurred during the ICO's ongoing investigation and before the Conservative Party had taken all the steps necessary to ensure that its processing, and database of people who would receive emails, was fully compliant with the data protection and electronic marketing regulations.

"Getting messages to potential voters is important in a healthy democracy but political parties must follow the law when doing so. The Conservative Party ought to have known this, but failed to comply with the law."

The Information Commissioner's Office also said its investigation had taken a long time because "the party repeatedly failed to provide responses within time periods set, even when those periods were extended".

"The commissioner does not consider that this was satisfactory compliance with reasonable requests from the statutory regulator," it said.
£10,000 is loose change for the Tory Party but the remarks from the ICO are a damning indictment of the Tory Party's arrogance .....
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2021, 02:30 PM

Re: Conservatives fined £10,000 for sending unwanted emails

The Labour Party would never do such a thing of course
Can you imagine Diane Abbott in charge of marketing e-mails .
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2021, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
Have they, though .....

If not, then yours is a pointless comment .....
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2021, 02:37 PM

Oh dear..sorry..touch a nerve did I ?

But there again… https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...s-stolen-votes
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2021, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Have they, though .....

If not, then yours is a pointless comment .....
Is it though? It's legitimate speculation.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

03-06-2021, 02:53 PM

Oh dear..sorry..touch a nerve did I ?
Hardly, mate .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

03-06-2021, 02:57 PM

If you're so concerned then start a thread about electoral fraud .....

ETA There's no date on that article, but I believe it was probably written about the time of the 2004 Bordesley Green election - you might want to update your sources when you start your thread .....
Vlad
West Midlands UK

03-06-2021, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
If you're so concerned then start a thread about electoral fraud .....

ETA There's no date on that article, but I believe it was probably written about the time of the 2004 Bordesley Green election - you might want to update your sources when you start your thread .....
I am not concerned about electoral fraud or the shortcomings in any of the political parties.
I wasn’t the one that brought up the subject…I responded in a jocular way, to your post but you took offence. The date on my link is superfluous…people who live in glass houses …..
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2021, 04:16 PM

By your statement, you infer The Flabbott actually understands the IT skills required for e-mailing ..do me a favour pmsl!!
Vlad
West Midlands UK

03-06-2021, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
By your statement, you infer The Flabbott actually understands the IT skills required for e-mailing ..do me a favour pmsl!!
Sorry it was a flight of madness …I came over all funny I shall go somewhere and punish myself for the transgression

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top