Join for free
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2021, 10:56 PM

If I see a moth...

If I see a moth flying around in my bedroom does that mean it's hatched out in one of my wardrobes?

I hope not - I hang Rentokil moth strips in the wardrobes twice a year.

I'm left puzzled now....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2021, 10:58 PM

Re: If I see a moth...

It's just probably come in from outside, Carol.
Do you have your bedroom windows open?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2021, 11:12 PM

Carol, I hope they are not those horrid little moths that hatch out on woollen clothes and carpets.
The little rice looking things feast on your carpet and clothes before they hatch out.... especially at this time of the year.
They love dark covered areas, like under the bed or under cupboards.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2021, 11:24 PM

I think we are harboring a nest somewhere because I have found some of my lovely favourite merino wool cardigans in my fave colour from Uniqlo nibbled but this was noticed by me when I was out for a meal and drinks with friends recently. I mentioned it to a friend at the meal and she showed me the same on her own cardi. A friend posted an angry comment on facebook about his fave jumper being nibbled. It must be because of lockdown?
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2021, 09:01 AM

I am plagued with these little beggars, every year. Now I use Acana hanging moth killers in my wardrobes, and Acana sachets in all my drawers. These definitely keep the numbers down, but it seems impossible to completely rid the house of them. I believe it's the bigger ones you have to watch out for, because they're the females that will lay the eggs in your clothes. Fortunately they are very easy to kill - they never see a tissue covered hand coming towards them

According to this article in the Guardian a couple of years ago, the clothes moth has enjoyed a population explosion in recent years (don't I know it!)

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...hey-be-stopped
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2021, 10:46 AM

That is very interesting article, Bathsheba. I have seen them here & squirt them with a moth killer spray. I have lots of teddy bears & most are natural fibre, so I have to be careful.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2021, 01:43 PM

We often find new moth holes in our clothing although we never see the little blighters. We do have some moth thingies hanging up but they don't seem to get all of them. Had them a few years ago and they literally chewed a hole in the carpet about 4x4". It was under a cupbard so we didn't notice. Ended up squirting them with vinegar
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2021, 03:15 PM

I don’t have them so much now as l keep hoovering.
l used to pick the larvae up off the carpet with a tweezer, put them in the toilet and flush!

I am always scanning the walls to see if there is a hatched one lurking, then l squash it flat!

I have tried catching them in flight by clapping my hands together but they are quick and l miss, or trip over something!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top