Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 02:09 AM

Did Marco Polo Go to China?

Having recently watched two documentaries regarding Polo's travels, I am now in some doubt as to whether the Venetian got beyond Constantinople .....

The two documentaries are:

ZDF - The Secret File of Marco Polo (2014)

Did Marco Polo, the most illustrious traveller in history, ever venture to China? A debate continues as to whether the Venetian's book is actually a personal account of China's 13th-century Middle Kingdom and its marvels. Scientists, western scholars and Chinese historians have uncovered striking new evidence that the son of Venetian merchants had travelled to the mysterious middle kingdom.
Marco Polo

National Geographic - Mystery Files: Season 2 (2011)

We reveal that despite the book suggesting he spent 20 years in the court of the Chinese emperor, there is no mention of Marco in Chinese records. Marco Polo’s last will and testament remains unsigned and even the inventory of his possessions made on his death has question marks hanging over it. Our experts examine all the best evidence. Did Marco Polo, or any European, travel so far into China so long ago? Are the famous tales really based on Marco Polo’s travels? And did a man named Marco Polo even exist?
On the one hand, several elements of the original early manuscript (reconstructed) are startlingly accurate and ring true but, on the other hand, the original manuscript was written by the fantasist Rustichello da Pisa and the early reconstructions are conspicuous by their failure to mention a number of things and practices commonly associated with China, such as the Chinese characters, tea, chopsticks, and footbinding.

The "zealots" point to the accuracies as proof while the "sceptics" point to the discrepancies ..... you pays yer money and you takes yer choice .....

Well, I haven't paid yet but I lean towards the "thief and braggart" end of the spectrum of appraisal .....
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 04:39 AM

Re: Did Marco Polo Go to China?

So where did he get the mints from?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
Good question!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 07:13 AM

Mints??...What am I missing Smithy?...
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 08:18 AM

Polo mints brand of breath mint in UK. The mint with the hole.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 09:25 AM

Yes,thanks.Apologies for my pathetic attempt at humour.

I have seen them here in Oz.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Polo mints brand of breath mint in UK. The mint with the hole.
As opposed to Katie Price - the hole with the mint.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
I'd be far more concerned about any viruses he could have collected on his way
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 03:27 PM

The makers of polo Mints have never put their prices up unlike other sweet makers, they have just made the hole bigger
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 04:06 PM

I have now watched a third:

Biography Channel - Great Explorers (2000)

Part 3: Marco Polo

Sail with Marco Polo--a name synonymous with travel and adventure--as he leaves Venice at the age of 17 and becomes personal assistant to the mighty Chinese emperor Kublai Khan.
This one is a fawning accolade .....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top