Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 10:35 PM

Re: Men only. No women

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree with Bakerman.

Women have finally achieved equality with men in almost all respects, and so they should, respecting physical differences of course.

I don't know about America, but in the UK there are still glaring examples of women not being paid the same amount as men doing exactly the same job. This is something that must change or there really isn't any true equality of the sexes.

If and when we do have true sexual equality, then this must include what Bakerman is arguing for.

Of course, we don't have compulsory military recruitment, but if we did it would be perfectly logical (and in my opinion correct) for women to be included as well as men assuming, of course, that women were assigned to duties appropriate to their gender and physique.

What possible argument against that can there be?
Exactly correct. Oh, there can be arguments against drafting women into the military BUT those arguments would not be rational. Either there is equality, or there is not.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 10:35 PM

it would be perfectly logical (and in my opinion correct) for women to be included as well as men assuming, of course, that women were assigned to duties appropriate to their gender and physique.
That makes sense, JBR, after all, soldiers' uniforms won't wash and iron themselves.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
That makes sense, JBR, after all, soldiers' uniforms won't wash and iron themselves.
You believe in living dangerously. I respect that.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Exactly correct. Oh, there can be arguments against drafting women into the military BUT those arguments would not be rational. Either there is equality, or there is not.
Indeed. You probably have not seen the programme, but Marge and I watch SAS: Who Dares Wins on the telly each week. On that programme, the women contestants are treated exactly the same way as are the men contestants.

What's more, within physical limitations, the women seem to give as much in the way of such things as skill and perseverance as the men, sometimes more.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 09:21 AM

Mrs d00d is both more responsible and more of a fighter than I.

(just not as physically strong)
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 06:00 PM

Well, the whole issue is a moot point … at least temporarily. Congress does not have the moral fiber to pass any law which requires women to shoulder, along with men, the heaviest burden of military service. So, we will continue to see men returning from combat minus arms and legs, but not women.
TannieT
Queensland Australia
TannieT is female 

09-06-2021, 02:10 AM

All opportunities shouldbe equally open to all.
If there are standards to pass ? Then as long as you meet that standard? Then you get in. Plenty of fit decent sized females would pass the physical tests. And mental strength is not gender specific.

What i do find funny about discussions of females and military? Is the unspoken notion that 1000s of women WANT to be in frontline combat!!! Really? Not sure most women want to trudge through foreign lands being shot at!

I rrspect that men and women have different qualities. When i mean equality? I mean the acceptance that we are equal value humans. Not that we can all do exactly the same physical tasks.
bakerman
Mexico

09-06-2021, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by TannieT ->
All opportunities shouldbe equally open to all.
If there are standards to pass ? Then as long as you meet that standard? Then you get in. Plenty of fit decent sized females would pass the physical tests. And mental strength is not gender specific.

What i do find funny about discussions of females and military? Is the unspoken notion that 1000s of women WANT to be in frontline combat!!! Really? Not sure most women want to trudge through foreign lands being shot at!

I rrspect that men and women have different qualities. When i mean equality? I mean the acceptance that we are equal value humans. Not that we can all do exactly the same physical tasks.
TannieT, You have completely missed the whole point of this thread. It is NOT about opportunities in the military for women. If a woman volunteers for service, the sky is the limit.
This thread is all about whether women can be, should be, forced to register for the military draft in exactly the same way as men.
If you read my 1st post you will see that at age 18 all males MUST, by law, register for the draft.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

09-06-2021, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
TannieT, You have completely missed the whole point of this thread. It is NOT about opportunities in the military for women. If a woman volunteers for service, the sky is the limit.
This thread is all about whether women can be, should be, forced to register for the military draft in exactly the same way as men.
If you read my 1st post you will see that at age 18 all males MUST, by law, register for the draft.
I know nothing of the American 'Constitution', but isn't there something in there about equality of the sexes?

You know better that I, presumably. Perhaps the matter could be argued within the Constitution, as it appears that it may be contradictory.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2021, 10:11 AM

I know nothing of the American 'Constitution', but isn't there something in there about equality of the sexes?

You know better that I, presumably. Perhaps the matter could be argued within the Constitution, as it appears that it may be contradictory.
My extensive research (ie skimming through wiki) has uncovered this:

In February 2019, the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas ruled that male-only conscription registration breached the Fourteenth Amendment's equal protection clause, overturning the previous ruling on the grounds that the policies of the armed forces regarding women had changed significantly, such that they can now be used interchangeably with men. In a case brought by non-profit men's rights organisation the National Coalition for Men against the U.S. Selective Service System, judge Gray H. Miller issued a declaratory judgement that the male-only registration requirement is unconstitutional, though did not specify what action the government should take.[106] That decision was reversed by the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals.[107] A petition for review was then filed with the U.S. Supreme Court.[108]
On the whole, seems that politicians have been umm-ing and ah-ing (if that's how to spell it) about getting shot of conscription and its alternative names for quite some time, so extending it to include women would seem to involve taking a step in the wrong direction.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top