Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
rhosyn
South Wales
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 02:23 PM

Hearing Test.

Has anyone had a hearing test in Boots? I'm thinking of making an appointment as I don't think my hearing is as good as it was.I find I have to turn up the volume on the tv and have to ask some people to repeat what they said-don't think it's because of mask wearing.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 02:27 PM

Re: Hearing Test.

Yes Rhosyn, I have been with Boots Audiology for about 7 years now.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Yes Rhosyn, I have been with Boots Audiology for about 7 years now.
I had difficulty hearing what people use to say, especially in crowded places. I was surprised at the difference they made.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 04:29 PM

I've had one with Boots every year, for the last 3 years. There is some hearing loss, which goes with age I guess, but I can still get by without a hearing aid. On the other hand, the wife has a couple of freebies from Specsavers, courtesy of the NHS. The Boots test is free, so I suggest checking it out.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 06:10 PM

I don't know what boots is. But speaking as someone who is now nearly completely deaf I can say with absolute certainty that I relied a great deal on being able to see peoples lips move. Covid, and the masks, have made it nearly impossible for me to understand a single thing people say.
I suppose I'm lucky that I can still hear loud sounds such as fire engines, big trucks, loud motorcycles etc.
So, I will continue to use closed captioning when watching TV.
Teacup
UK
Teacup is female 

08-06-2021, 06:28 PM

I have small ears with narrow ear canals. It's something a few immediate family members have. Just means they get blocked easily. Been using ear drops a lot since lockdown, plus tried a softer alternative to an ear syringe recently.
Think being indoors a lot since the first lockdown caused it, maybe less natural moving about, as it's been bad to being almost totally deaf in one ear despite knowing the reason why.
Recently it's started improving again, same as last summer.
Hopefully there's nothing worse than this wrong with yours.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 06:38 PM

Yes, I've been with Boots since I bought some of their Phonak hearing aids over four years ago, which are digital and have a number of advantageous features. Of course, their models have been improved since I got mine!

The test, as others said, is free and there is no compulsion to buy their hearing aids having been tested. I have a free checkup every year and more frequently if I think I need it. They have always been very helpful whenever I have been to see them.
Their hearing aids are guaranteed for five years.
Yes, I'd recommend them.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by rhosyn ->
Has anyone had a hearing test in Boots? I'm thinking of making an appointment as I don't think my hearing is as good as it was.I find I have to turn up the volume on the tv and have to ask some people to repeat what they said-don't think it's because of mask wearing.
Ask your GP to refer you to Specsavers under their NHS contract. They will test your hearing and if necessary, prescribe and supply any necessary hearing aids . They will also supply batteries as and when you need them, all at no cost to you, only the NHS. I have Ambio NHS via Specsavers and I cannot fault them.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Ask your GP to refer you to Specsavers under their NHS contract. They will test your hearing and if necessary, prescribe and supply any necessary hearing aids . They will also supply batteries as and when you need them, all at no cost to you, only the NHS. I have Ambio NHS via Specsavers and I cannot fault them.
I agree. I used to have NHS hearing aids which were completely free, although in my case provided at a local hospital rather than Specsavers.
They used to provide replacement batteries too, and you can't argue with that.

(My present ones are rechargeable, though, which is a lot easier than changing batteries.)
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I don't know what boots is. But speaking as someone who is now nearly completely deaf I can say with absolute certainty that I relied a great deal on being able to see peoples lips move. Covid, and the masks, have made it nearly impossible for me to understand a single thing people say.
I suppose I'm lucky that I can still hear loud sounds such as fire engines, big trucks, loud motorcycles etc.
So, I will continue to use closed captioning when watching TV.

Do you not use hearing aids to help you, Bakerman?

Incidentally, Boots is huge, well known pharmacy chain in the UK.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top