Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 11:55 PM

Well I had to try didn't I

Thought I would see what I could do with nearly 60 year old colour slides of photos I took back then. Had a look to see about buying a gadget the goes on the end of a lens, but didn't have one the right lens mm size

So what about making my own then, more as a laugh than a serious efforts.
How to hold the slide was the first problem, then I hit on the idea of using a clothes peg . Yep that held but what to hold the clothes peg with?( blunted the ends off so they were flat)

Idea use a plastic pipe clip another problem solved, just needed to nail it to a block of wood. Solved.

So below is the setup

from left to right
white sheet of A4 paper as a light reflector from a CN-160 led light

Then further back the rig I made up holding the 35mm slide photo and frame
Next the camcorder on a tripod with the small screen facing sideways so i could check for focus etc

So as not to disturb used the wireless remote trigger/receiver to take the shot
and finally the edited result on the computer monitor

What a waste of time the photos were too far gone to do anything with
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

13-06-2021, 07:19 AM

Re: Well I had to try didn't I

Good try real. What a pity it didn't turn out as you'd hoped. I have tons of old slides too - I expect most of us do. Luckily I have a flatbed scanner that has a slide attachment that can scan four at a time. Tried it before and it works very well. Now you reminded me of something to put on my "to do" list for the winter.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 08:19 AM

I have to say that you do like a challenge don't you, realspeed! I guess that like anything to do with colour these can fade and deteriorate with time.

Like most of us I too have a lot of old slides, most were probably taken around 50 years' ago. I do have a flat bed scanner but lack the attachment required to scan slides. At one time, quite a while ago now, I looked into finding companies that will undertake this. Then there were quite a few but I found the cost was way over what I was prepared to pay. A good service could have been had from the one I might have used, all very streamlined using the post.

With each company it was always the initial set-up minimum charge that made it so costly. The more slides, the less cost per slide but added to that each time the initial set-up minimum charge made it just too expensive. I still have the slides, having seen this thread I might check out what the costs are now. Technology has improved so costs might have come down due to that.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 08:30 AM

I've got a Canon scanner with an attachment that will work with black & white negs/B&W positives/colour neg or positives. Works really well the only problem I have is that it will only do 35mm films and I have quite a lot of old 120 film. I have mocked up a set up using the same gear but it cuts a bit off the neg cover so I can usually jiggle the neg a bit but it's not perfect like it is with 35mm film.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top